Books

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

DevilXdevil

creatively retarded
Former Staff
Sep 24, 2008
yeah books what kind of books do you read/like what have you red your fave writer etc

yes i can read books :harp: i just tend not to

anyway my fave writers are george r.r. martin,terry goodkind,stephen king,terry pratchett,j.r.r. tolkien

fave books sword of the truth serial,song of ice and fire,hobbit,the children of hurin,silmarillion,guard's guard's and raven blood eye epic book

oh and art of war

fave quotes from books

from sword of the truth

"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." -Richard

"Sometimes that's all life is: one desperate act after another." -Zedd

"You want to be healed, now? Or would you prefer to bleed to death so I can try my hand at resurrection?" -Nathan

"Reality is irrelevant; Perception is everything." - Zedd

People are stupid... They will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true

Passion rules reason

Mind what people do, not only what they say, for deeds will betray a lie

from song of ice and fire

Love is poison. A sweet poison, yes, but it will kill you all the same

I seldom fling children from towers to improve their health. Yes, I meant for him to die

First lesson: stick them with the pointy end

Give me sweet lies, and keep your bitter truths

Fear cuts deeper than swords

That's no law, just a sword. Happens I got one too

Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the fire that burns against the cold, the light that brings the dawn, the horn that wakes the sleepers, the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come

Desu

アッチョンブリケ
Jun 25, 2009
i was waiting for someone else to reply, but it looks like there aren't many bookworms around here

Code:
george r.r. martin

i'm up to A Storm of Swords but last week i had to stop because

[hide]when the Freys slayed the norse men i was like "WTF? ok, now i'm lost"[/hide]

i think the most interesting character (up to the point where i stopped) is Jaime (maybe because of his "family affairs" ehrm...), and Bran is boooooooooooring as hell!

stephen king

the sphere was good enough, but not brilliant.
my favs are the stand, the first 2 or 3 from the dark tower, and maybe the cell (the idea is good, but the story isn't).

then tolkien, of course, and then some from the Preston & Child duo (namely Marea and ice limit)

i tried some Haruki Murakami (norwegian wood/tokyo blues) but it's too sad and having two pages out of ten about sex isn't exactly a bonus...

but if i have to point at one single book as my favourite one, i'd probably say The Secret History by Donna Tartt

let's keep this going! i'd like more suggestions!

DevilXdevil

creatively retarded
Former Staff
Sep 24, 2008
ahahahaah yeah Jaime and his affairs are the reason why i started to read the book xD

Eddard aka Ned is my favorite character

[hide] lol i was lost there too and the fact that the writer has an incredible ability to kill anyone was the reason why i stopped but continued to read ahhaah [/hide]

stephen king has way to many books most of them best sellers some are good some are bad

the secret history hmmm i was planning to read it but never was motivated to do so will try after the world cup

oh btw if you like norse stuff vikings etc read if you can raven: blood eye and raven : sons of thunder ... very amusing books

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
let's keep this going! i'd like more suggestions!

Actually I never noticed this thread. I used to read a lot, still read consistently.

You can't go wrong with the classics. I reccomend for any all anything by John Steinbeck. He was a master story teller and he never wrote anything that was subpar. His books are superb reading. Ernest Hemmingway is also a master and worth reading, his books have a unique biting style and are very realistic, second in my mind only to Steinbeck but they are basically equals. I was a Kipling fan when I was a kid and Edgar Rice Burroughs was my favorite at a young age, ( the tarzan books are nothing like the movies).

For mysteries I suggest Dick Francis. Very readable, fast paced books about a subject matter the author knows very much about. I never read a book of his I didn't enjoy.

I second the praise for Stephen King but I stopped reading him. His works can get a little wordy but he is very good at his craft. He probably has more books turned into movies and tv specials than any other author ever and for a good reason, the man tells a damn good tale. I would suggest his old work first, it was when he was hungry and the burning sensation to tell a story was at its' strongest in him. After the Richard Bachman books his desire seemed to fall off somewhat.

For good Sci-Fi I suggest anything by David Drake. He was an interrogator assigned to a tank command in the Vietnam war and his stories show the nightmares and realism he experienced there. His stories are full of guts and no glory...good stuff.

There is lots of good fantasy out there but I have my favorites, though I don't read much of it anymore. Stephen R. Donaldson ( The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant), J. R. R. Tolkien (Lord of the Rings series), Ursula K LeGuin (Earthsea series) and Michael Scott Rohan (The Winter of the World series).

There are many more I did not name. Alistair Maclean was a great novelist and Bret Easton Ellis is also a good story teller, (An "American Psycho" is sooo much better and nastier than any movie version could hope to be).

Good thread.

ane-san

snow queen
Sep 25, 2008
atm I`m reading Egils saga and A Chymicall treatise of Arnoldus de Nova Villa (full name: A Chymicall treatise of the Ancient and highly illuminated Philosopher, Devine and Physitian, Arnoldus de Nova Villa who lived 400 years agoe, never seene in print before, but now by a Lover of the Spagyrick art made publick for the use of Learners, printed in the year 1611.).
I was just going through my bookshelf and these two are ones I love the most :study:

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
Whoah! heavy reading.

Desu

アッチョンブリケ
Jun 25, 2009
finished reading The Secret History, for the... 5th time?
begun reading it in english, and it's even better, as i thought.

i swear if i see another vampire/lycanthrope retarded teenager series, i'll burn down the shop selling them!

i bought an ebook reader, at last :gayprance:

(i also quit smoking, and while it isn't really relevant here, i like to brag about it :p)

ane-san

snow queen
Sep 25, 2008
^congrats on smoke-quitting :cheer:

atm I`m reading The Vicar of Wakefield, don`t know how to feel about that one,but it`s classic.