Bamboo shoot hunters continue to enter forest despite bear attack danger

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
KAZUNO, Akita -- People looking for wild bamboo shoots were still entering a forest here where four people have died in a series of apparent bear attacks, while police continue to warn hikers to stay away from woodland areas.

Shortly after 5 a.m. on June 11, a day after a female Asian black bear was shot dead in a mountain forest in the Towada-Oyu district in the Akita Prefecture city of Kazuno, an elderly couple from Towada, Aomori Prefecture, visited the Tashirotai district -- about 500 meters southeast of the spot where a 74-year-old woman was found dead the day before. The couple said they have been coming to this area for bamboo shoots for some five years.

"I've never encountered a bear before. It's scary, but if I saw one, I'd fight it," the 80-year-old husband said, laughing. His 75-year-old wife added, "I think I'd be petrified." The couple then proceeded to walk into a privately owned forest, despite a plainly visible "Do not enter" sign.

Meanwhile, at around 7 a.m. another couple from Noshiro, Akita Prefecture, entered a wooded area to collect bamboo shoots in Kazuno's Kumatoritai district, where two men were found dead on May 21 and 22.

"There may be a bear, but I want to enjoy seasonal food," the 70-year-old husband said as he set off a firecracker to keep any bears away. At the same time, a police car drove by, calling for people to stay away from the bushes.

A 54-year-old cab driver said, "I don't think I want to risk my life to get bamboo shoots."

The Kazuno Municipal Government has set bear traps around the area as there may be bears roaming in the forest.