• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.
Mar 28, 2008
Can we like get an increase on the avatars??

Something stupid like 400x300

I feel like the avatars need more oomph :confused:

CodeGeek

Akiba Citizen
Nov 2, 2010
Currently the avatars are 128x128. So that the avatars would be more than 3 times as big as they are not. Not very funny for people with low resolution (like phones, tablets or netbooks / subnotebooks).
I have a resolution of 1920x1200 at my PC at home, but only 1024x600 at my netbook.
I would agree if the resolution would depend on the resolution on the device (maybe a percentage value combined with a minimum and maximum value).
Another point is that bigger avatars will increase the data which has to be transferred. No problem at home, but maybe a problem if you're a mobile user.

By the way: What do you need by "more oomph"? ;)

Mar 28, 2008
Actually its 200x200

And why should the ability of surfing akiba on mobile impede me from surfing akiba to the fullest extent?

WHY :mad:

Oomph is like more power, more of something basically. Never played any dragon quest?

Last edited:
Reactions: CmoarIdols

CodeGeek

Akiba Citizen
Nov 2, 2010
Yes, I played Dragon Quest. But only half way through. And I even have 2 Dragon Quest titles. But don't ask me which ones. ;)

I looked at the graphic info of my Firefox. And it says for my avatar: 160x120px scaled to 128x96px. And for yours: 192x192px scaled to 128x128px. That's why I said 128x128px for current avatars.
As you wrote this I took a look at my "Personal Details". And if I try to exchange the avatar there is really the following sentence: "It is recommended that you use an image that is at least 200x200 pixels.".
So there seems to be a difference between the recommendation and the actual used size (it's controlled by some cascading style sheets located in css.php).

C00Lzero

Administrator
Conqueror
Aug 14, 2010
If you upload files bigger than 200px the system will resize them to 200px (width or height, if i remember right) and then the css will again queeze them into the avatar-holders.
Changing Avatar-Sizes based on the Resolution isn't a big deal, but this would only do a css-resize, not a real set of smaller avatars. So ... no benefit :)

The Style is only fitted to provide avatas up to 128px
If we want to increase them, there is a lot to change.
so perhaps sometimes later.

Moreover 400x300 will never come.
That's way to big.

HeavyNosebleed

Dec 4, 2013
Moreover 400x300 will never come.
That's way to big.
Way too big or Way badass?

I agree with "way too big". Avatars should not be the most important thing of a thread or post. And with 400x300 for most users they would be too dominant.
If you want to look closer at an avatar you can still click the username and have it displayed at bigger size. Maybe this kind of view could be extended to 400px to suit shinigamies request.
But right next to the thread/post itself it should stay as it is (I think it's perfect like this).

Reactions: CmoarIdols

Arya_Stark

Jun 28, 2014
I'll only mention that the exact maximum size of the avatars is currently 192 x 192 pixels, anything larger will be resized. (useful information for the per-pixel avatar designer) Compared to most forum I'm loving all these pretty avatars on a very pretty forum!

ezepietro

(。◕‿◕。)
Sep 7, 2008
I dont care to much about the size, I only care for the animation (gif) so I can finally wink in peace ;)

C00Lzero

Administrator
Conqueror
Aug 14, 2010
as long as the image fits within the limit (that's displayed) it won't be resized - so the gif should be preserved - as well as the animation
If it's not working, just link me the GIF and i'm taking care of this