AT&T set to start six-strike anti-piracy campaign?

EzikialRage

Nov 20, 2008
This isn't Asian news,so I didn't know where to post this thread at. But American Akiba members might have AT&T as their ISP.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-57532205-38/at-t-set-to-start-six-strike-anti-piracy-campaign/

Alleged documents obtained by TorrentFreak assert that Internet provider AT&T has begun internally training its personnel in a new anti-piracy campaign.

Warning notices will begin to be sent out on November 28, according to the documents. If subscribers are caught downloading content protected by intellectual copyright -- including videos, games and music -- they can expect to have access to frequently visited Web sites blocked.

So, can a subscriber expect a court summons to arrive in the mail? Perhaps not, at least, for now. Instead, you'll have to complete an "online copyright course," according to TorrentFreak, although there are no details on what this entails.

The documents tell the company's staff about the upcoming changes in policy, beginning with an overview

In an effort to assist content owners with combating on-line piracy, AT&T will be sending alert e-mails to customers who are identified as having been downloading copyrighted content without authorization from the copyright owner.

The reports are made by the content owners and are of IP-addresses that are associated with copyright-infringing activities. AT&T will not share any personally identifiable information about its customers with content owners until authorized by the customer or required to do so by law.

Kumi3

Flaccid Member
Feb 8, 2011
Who's to say:
A. That you don't have permission.
B. That the download content is subject to copyright.

There's a real danger here. I could be targeted just because I store my own personal content at an IP that someone has alleged is connected with illegal activities.

That's like accusing me of being a criminal, because I conduct financial transactions with a bank that is used by another person 'suspected' of being a criminal. And that's over-simplified.

I, person A, am going to be penalised by person B (whom I pay for a service) for dealing with person C, because person D alleged that person C is conducting illicit trade with person E.

Fuck me !

And what about P2P - Let's see them figure out illicit content from all of those IP's ? :puzzled: