Anyone knows how to use VideoSubFinder with an OCR and knows how the explain it for the noobs?

Taako

Akiba Citizen
May 25, 2017
The link from this page isn't helpful. https://www.akiba-online.com/thread...-english-movies-hardsub.2005149/#post-4429849
I'm trying to help generate subs faster for the community. My way is slow, but have patience I'm coming :hehe:
We need to keep the post the sub thread alive.
I'm not sure why the more capable users don't teach others how-to like the anime community but what whatevah.
Meanwhile, I'm going to post a movie I translate(thai sub) years ago. It should be decent.

SamKook

Grand Wizard
Staff member
Super Moderator
Uploader
May 10, 2009
It would help in that other thread if you said which steps specifically you're having issues with. Just saying that it isn't helpful or that someone need to make it easier to understand or clearer won't tell the guy who made the tutorial how he should fix it since for him it's likely very clear since he's familiar with the process already and it can be hard to see what people are having issues with.
Doesn't seem like english is his main language so it limits his abilities to make a very detailed tutorial and he did answer peoples questions about the tutorial, except for one where if the guy read the readme file for easyOCR(or read the tutorial better), he'd have gotten his answer.
I only know the very basics of python and I don't see any obvious issues with the tutorial from reading through it(there's no need to know python outside of how to install it as well as some plugins using pip), but I haven't tried it yet.

With that said, I'll take a look at those 2 options and see if it works well and try to make something easy to understand if they do.

I fiddled with OCR a very long time ago so hopefully it improved a lot because it was a pain back in the day, especially if you didn't know the exact font they used. Was easier when I was doing anime fansubbing since we had translators that created the script and didn't have to OCR.

Taako

Akiba Citizen
May 25, 2017
It would help in that other thread if you said which steps specifically you're having issues with. Just saying that it isn't helpful or that someone need to make it easier to understand or clearer won't tell the guy who made the tutorial how he should fix it since for him it's likely very clear since he's familiar with the process already and it can be hard to see what people are having issues with.
Doesn't seem like english is his main language so it limits his abilities to make a very detailed tutorial and he did answer peoples questions about the tutorial, except for one where if the guy read the readme file for easyOCR(or read the tutorial better), he'd have gotten his answer.
I only know the very basics of python and I don't see any obvious issues with the tutorial from reading through it(there's no need to know python outside of how to install it as well as some plugins using pip), but I haven't tried it yet.

With that said, I'll take a look at those 2 options and see if it works well and try to make something easy to understand if they do.

I fiddled with OCR a very long time ago so hopefully it improved a lot because it was a pain back in the day, especially if you didn't know the exact font they used. Was easier when I was doing anime fansubbing since we had translators that created the script and didn't have to OCR.
I tried to ask for help. No one answers, so I don't want to be a pest.
I appreciate you taking the time. I'm not trying to cause a issue. But I was looking for a quicker way to give subs to community. :)

SamKook

Grand Wizard
Staff member
Super Moderator
Uploader
May 10, 2009
I didn't see you ask any question in the thread so I assume you asked in private and that user hasn't logged in since the last day he answered questions, on may 15th so that's why you didn't get a reply.

I tried to install the python one and after a bit of research, it seems that it most likely doesn't work with the latest python version, python 3.10, which I have installed, so you have to use 3.9(3.9.4 exactly would be a safe bet since that's what the guy from the tutorial made it work with) 64bit and you have to install pytorch before easyocr by going on the website for it(link in the tutorial) and selecting the options you want to install and using that instead of what he says in the tutorial.
The rest should be easy once you get the python stuff installed, but that can be a pain when you need specific version for compatibility which happens a lot in my experience.
I assume that was your issue with it, but I have no way to know exactly unless you tell me.

Edit: Tried installing it with python 3.9.9 in a VM and it worked perfectly. I'm downloading a video with chinese hardcoded subs to test it.

Edit2: Finished downloading and processing the movie so everything seems to work well and is pretty easy to do so if you have any specific issues, let me know.

Last edited:

Taako

Akiba Citizen
May 25, 2017
I didn't see you ask any question in the thread so I assume you asked in private and that user hasn't logged in since the last day he answered questions, on may 15th so that's why you didn't get a reply.

I tried to install the python one and after a bit of research, it seems that it most likely doesn't work with the latest python version, python 3.10, which I have installed, so you have to use 3.9(3.9.4 exactly would be a safe bet since that's what the guy from the tutorial made it work with) 64bit and you have to install pytorch before easyocr by going on the website for it(link in the tutorial) and selecting the options you want to install and using that instead of what he says in the tutorial.
The rest should be easy once you get the python stuff installed, but that can be a pain when you need specific version for compatibility which happens a lot in my experience.
I assume that was your issue with it, but I have no way to know exactly unless you tell me.

Edit: Tried installing it with python 3.9.9 in a VM and it worked perfectly. I'm downloading a video with chinese hardcoded subs to test it.

Edit2: Finished downloading and processing the movie so everything seems to work well and is pretty easy to do so if you have any specific issues, let me know.
Yeah. it didn't work but someone has an easier way and no python. I just can't use it lol

Last edited: