Anyone bought any JAV DVDs from amazon, HMV japan?

sugarpuffz

Feb 9, 2019
I noticed that a few items do seem to ship overseas. Just wondering if anyone has any positive experiences from them. I checked the usual squareplus but they set ludicrous prices at 4x the normal retail prices and the products are in most cases 2nd hand items.

PToadstool

Dec 9, 2009
Amazon Japan will not deliver to US when I have tried before, however I've had very good experience with HMV Japan before. However, HMV ships DVDs via EMS, which can be expensive. Usually, I order 3 or more DVDs to justify the shipping cost. And EMS requires a signature for delivery.

sugarpuffz

Feb 9, 2019
I bought something off a 3rd party seller with good feedback ratings on amazon japan who seems to ship overseas. I figure I'd test it out as the item was only $2 and shipping was $12 with a 3 week waiting time. At worse I lose a few bucks if the seller turns out to be rogue. HMV looks like an option for the future. Any problems with customs? I live in the UK and anything shipped from outside the EU worth over $30 is subject to tax and possibly inspection.

Jlist, xxxdvd.co.jp, squareplus.jp do seem to get stuff for you but mostly used items with a steep markup price. There's even cases where they've just shipped pirated DVDs according to the other forum I frequent.

Thanks for the feedback.

Lodestar

Nov 4, 2017
I bought something off a 3rd party seller with good feedback ratings on amazon japan who seems to ship overseas. I figure I'd test it out as the item was only $2 and shipping was $12 with a 3 week waiting time. At worse I lose a few bucks if the seller turns out to be rogue. HMV looks like an option for the future. Any problems with customs? I live in the UK and anything shipped from outside the EU worth over $30 is subject to tax and possibly inspection.

Jlist, xxxdvd.co.jp, squareplus.jp do seem to get stuff for you but mostly used items with a steep markup price. There's even cases where they've just shipped pirated DVDs according to the other forum I frequent.

Thanks for the feedback.

Third party sellers will likely mark down the value of anything you buy and since DVDs are such a relatively small item, it's likely customs will take it and hand it over to the Royal Mail (or whoever) without assessing VAT and other duties (VAT will be the major portion).

If you buy direct from HMV or Amazon Japan or a big company, it's more likely they'll list the actual sales price and then you're more likely to see VAT and duties assessed. I'm assuming your national mail service will pay the VAT and duties... and then charge you that + an additional fee for having done that part of the work for you. I'm not sure if you can pay royal mail online or over the phone or if you would have to go in person to the postal center the package is being held at and pay. At that point like PToadstool says: if you chose EMS shipping then it would require a signature. If you are at work or school or out of the house then you'll likely have to go pick it up in person.

It's always possible border and customs will inspect your package but the likelihood is extremely low. Customs in most countries are overwhelmed with packages and a small box containing a few DVDs is unlikely to ever get flagged. My experience is not with UK but the US and Canada... not much of it from Japan but dozens and dozens of packages over the years. I think I may have had a package with large books inspected once or twice by a courier company when attempting to assess duty and fees. I have never had anything inspected by customs sent through mail and handed to USPS or Canada Post.

sugarpuffz

Feb 9, 2019
Inertia: Actually I think it was another site javaction or actionjav. As for the ones I've listed previously I can't vouch for their legetimacy as the quotes put me off.

Lodestar: The new EU Japan have agreed a new trade deal that eliminates duties and eases restrictions on movement of goods. Though I think it will take some time to phase in, the bad news for the uk is that we're leaving the EU in 46 days thanks to the moronic brexit fiasco, we'll be leaving the biggest trading block in the world which accounts for 1/3 of global trade and self impose trade sanctions on ourselves.

Inertia

Akiba Citizen
Apr 2, 2015
ActionJAV is a stolen site though they're digital-only I believe.
AsianScreens is another that sends physical DVD-R (bootleg burns).

It's fun watching their Alexa ranks continuously decrease as the free streaming sites take away their 'business'.

Reactions: TGWM

sugarpuffz

Feb 9, 2019
Those DVDs I ordered from amazon finally arrived after 3 weeks. Apart from the long waiting time, the service and items received were excellent the packaging was very protective and discrete (labelled as music dvds). Although some items were 2nd hand they were still pristine. I'm not entirely sure how the shopping points works but I think it translates to getting reduced prices on future purchases.