Anti-Sandvine: Torrent throttling helping guide.

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

desioner

Sustaining L.I.F.E.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 22, 2006
Hey chompy,
I just came across this awesome tutorial on how to avoid Sandvine, a method used by a lot of ISPs to stop or throttle bittorrent network traffic. I think this should be announced throughout the forum as most of the users here use torrents and it would greatly help some of them that are experiencing troubles with them.
Anti-Sandvine
desioner

chompy

slacker
Staff member
Super Moderator
Emperor
Nov 7, 2006
Interesting. Moved to tech support and stickied.

Feb 15, 2007
I'm using it, and it works great for me, unleashing power of my ADSL from around 5 - 10 kb/s non-local torrent to 100+ kb/s. Thanks for this great great things.

guy

(;Θ_Θ)ゝ”
Feb 11, 2007
Just an update for anyone on Comcast.

The FCC has ruled that Comcast's use of Sandvine for torrent throttling (RST packets) is illegal, and at the beginning of August gave Comcast 30 days to remove Sandvine. So by the end of the month (if not already) Comcast users should no longer have any problems seeding torrents.

Instead, Comcast is planning on a different throttling method that will slow down the top 10% bandwidth hogs to "DSL speeds" for 10-20 minutes at a time (which will still be enough for fast web browsing), but your torrents and other downloads will still go through fine.

Other people can check if their ISP has been known to throttle torrents, and what (if any) workarounds are available:
http://www.azureuswiki.com/index.php/Bad_ISPs

Or you can use this tool to check if you're specific IP is actually being throttled:
http://broadband.mpi-sws.mpg.de/transparency/bttest.php

Banzai! ヽ( ・∀・)ノ

TAT_SHINTA

Nov 22, 2008
Why I do this and the connection drop from 14kb/s to 6kb/s :(. It appear the symbol that the port on Utorrent is not opened( I open my port 6881-6889 manually on the modem and on windows firewall and it works fine, Utorrent regconize it is opened. The speed is around 10-12.5kb/s,but it is too slow to me, because the torrent on this akiba forum is usually 4.5GB) . PLease, can anybody teach me more clearly ? I swear I will pass my experience to anyone I know.
thank so much