A new one for me

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

buttobi

Mar 29, 2007
Yeah same with me, pages didn't load completely.

Besides the Service Unavailable page appears frequently when I click the links. But after clicking a couple of times everything works fine. It goes without saying page loading is irritably slow more often than not. :crash:

chompy

slacker
Staff member
Super Moderator
Emperor
Nov 7, 2006
Thank you for pointing this out. It happened to me, and I was kinda hoping it was a problem with my side. However if it's affecting others, it must be a result of my recently moving the forum CSS (style scripts) to the filesystem rather than the database. Clearly it didn't have the desired effect (taking load off the database) and only threw up a new problem.

CSS has been reverted to the database.

Those Service Unavailable pages were a result of setting the server to limit the site to 2000 connections. For whatever reason, this just made everything worse, so I've disabled that too.

:constipation: *sigh*

buttobi

Mar 29, 2007
We thank you Chompy for all the effort you are kindly doing for us.
Even when I'm having problem with loading I'm never thankless. :chinesenewyearf:

guy

(;Θ_Θ)ゝ”
Feb 11, 2007
Yeah, for scripted sites, CSS in database should be better. As long as the CSS itself isn't needlessly complex or excessive, it should only amount to one or two MySQL queries, and moreover can be cached in memory since it's static.

Much more efficient to do it that way than to waste the already-limited number of HTTP-request connections by loading it externally. Same goes for any client-side scripts (eg: javascript).

I think AO's slowdowns are probably more from the huge number of forum posts and the possibility that vBulletin is using multiple php scripts to serve up a single page -- but I say that without having ever looked at vBulletin code.

rubiks6

No more JI - Retired from AO
Apr 2, 2008
I've been immortalized. LOL

(Sorry, I'm silly.)

Okay, seriously -

I really get slammed when loading pages that have too many thumbnails to load. (example - InterestedParty's lolicon threads. Impossible to get a complete page load. Just impossible.) Is each and every image thumbnail being re-compressed to thumbnails each and every time they are packetized and sent out with a served page? Wow, if so, that's an awful lot of overhead.

(If what I have said is irrelevent or meaningless, I apologize - I'm no techie.)

guy

(;Θ_Θ)ゝ”
Feb 11, 2007
The thumbnails are cached, not generated every time, although they can only be retrieved through the attachment.php script. However it's possible vBulletin clears out its cache every now and then, or only keeps the most-accessed thumbnails cached (in order to save hdd/memory), so there could be some overhead there. But it is in no way as inefficient as regenerating the thumbnails at each-and-every request.