8.8 Richter earthquake hits Japan: Tsunami, nuclear meltdown, many dead

aquamarine

I Know Better Than You
Mar 19, 2007
http://j-tv.me/f52Tr8
Log on to see the earthquake RIGHT now - level 4.X and LONGNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGG

Just got hit by another at 9:32 local time and the building is -STILL- shaking - based in Chiba

Rollyco

Team Tomoe
Oct 4, 2007
I have been avoiding videos of the tsunami event because they are disturbing, but this capture really give you an idea of the massive scale. Watch the helicopter track the onrush of water. It keeps coming, and coming, and coming... unbelievable.

[youtube]mCdJoeu0wcE[/youtube]

(More here.

aquamarine

I Know Better Than You
Mar 19, 2007
We have another, hope you felt it too!

aquamarine

I Know Better Than You
Mar 19, 2007
GOD DAMNIT WE'RE SHAKING AGAIN!
*based in Ibaraki-ken*

fuck it, just go to the JustinTV homepage of mine instead of a new fucking link EVERY time I load it up (why the shit can't the URL stay the same) for fucks sake.
http://www.justin.tv/aquaintokyo/videos

Rollyco

Team Tomoe
Oct 4, 2007
Prime Minister Naoto Kan: "In the Worst Case, Eastern Japan Will Be Ruined"

Some very grim statements coming out now. It's taken the government this long to tell the truth...

[youtube]JJmzuuKVdds[/youtube]

Special Advisor to the Cabinet Kiyoshi Sasamori, at a press conference on the night of the 16th, revealed that in a conversation with him, Prime Minister Naoto Kan said: "[If the worst case scenario of the Fukushima 1 Nuclear Power Plant accident comes true,] we must consider the possibility that eastern Japan will be ruined."

Source: http://news.tbs.co.jp/newseye/tbs_newseye4675824.html

Rollyco

Team Tomoe
Oct 4, 2007
Village Officials Defy National Government, Leading Exodus from Fukushima

Villagers of Kawauchi-mura, located between 20 km and 30 km from the Fukushima 1 Nuclear Power Plant and told by the national government to just stay indoors, defied the instruction and began to collectively organize their own "complete village evacuation," heading for Koriyama City outside the 30 km-radius zone from the Fukushima 1 reactors. According to Vice Village Mayor Mitsugu Igari, who led the first contingent of evacuees, arriving at Koriyama's "Big Palette Fukushima" shelter in the afternoon of the 16th, the decision to evacuate was made because of the rising fear about the nuclear plant among the villagers.

Vice Village Mayor Igari said, "The Fukushima 1 situation is getting worse every minute. It's been already 24 hours since we were told to stay indoors. You can't stay indoors for ever -- you need to eat, and the elderly need care. I just made my own judgment that people can't live with fear any longer."

According to the vice village mayor, about 1,200 of the total 3,000 village population, and about 4,000 nuclear refugees from Tomioka-machi, which is closer to the nuclear plant, were still in the village as of the morning of decision. The decision to evacuate the whole village was made by a Kawauchi-Tomioka joint disaster response headquarters. 14 buses and other vehicles are being mobilized to transport people from Kawauchi to Koriyama. Village Mayor Yuko Endo will leave on the last bus.

Evacuated from his home in Tegooka, Kawauchi, located on the border with Iwaki City, Toshio Sudou, 44 years old, travelled by car, with his mother (77 years old) and sister (53) and his 48-year-old brother's family and managed to get to the "Big Palette" shelter.

Around 9:30 AM on the 16th, the village alert system blared an announcement: "Everyone, you must evacuate now," instructing car owners to leave by their own cars and those without personal transportation to organize contingents and get on buses to Koriyama. "Not knowing anything, I just followed the announcement and evacuated. What now?" asked Mr. Sudo.

According to the Fukushima Prefecture government, still 141,000 residents and refugees in shelters are left in the 20-30 km zone. Besides Kawauchi-mura, residents of Iitate-mura and Minami Souma City are also seeking to evacuate from that zone.

Source: http://www.asahi.com/national/update/0316/TKY201103160497.html

loveIdols

Nov 7, 2007
After watching world news I cannot ignore the feeling that the USA and the rest of the world are trying to undermine the trust of Japanese people in their government. Every statement they give, every "scientist" they bring to speak about "nuclear meltdown" sounds to me like an effort to destabilize the government and cause even more damage by instigating civil disobedience. I just hope people of Japan can see through the smoke screen.

I have been watching TEPCO website and they seem to be pretty honest about what is going on and what they are doing. Their effort and sacrifice seems great to me but the only thing they seem to be getting in return is criticism:
http://www.tepco.co.jp/en/press/corp-com/release/11031710-e.html

If we had a nuclear plant here and such a disaster happened the only thing that would have been left of us would be our glowing remains in China.

Stay strong folks, and don't trust foreign news too much.

Rollyco

Team Tomoe
Oct 4, 2007
I think most people are too busy rebuilding their lives to worry about what the foreign media are saying. The only civil disobedience you'll see is people protecting themselves, when the over-extended government can't do so. Read post #217 and #227 in this thread.

Rhinosaur

Outside Context Problem
Sep 23, 2007
http://j-tv.me/f52Tr8
Log on to see the earthquake RIGHT now - level 4.X and LONGNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGG

Just got hit by another at 9:32 local time and the building is -STILL- shaking - based in Chiba
You can expect to get significant aftershocks for months to come.

robogod

Oct 26, 2010
Last bit of information I heard had the Japanese Military dumping lots of seawater onto the reactors in an attempt to cool them down, thereby reducing the radiation levels.
I know it has been a few days since this tragedy, and I hope all of you out there are all right.

redrooster

赤いオンドリ - 私はオタクです!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Sep 25, 2007
this thread is sticky now too.

Freedom Kira

Rawr™
Jun 19, 2009
Last bit of information I heard had the Japanese Military dumping lots of seawater onto the reactors in an attempt to cool them down, thereby reducing the radiation levels.
I know it has been a few days since this tragedy, and I hope all of you out there are all right.

It's been a few days since they started dumping seawater. Where have you been, man?

I think most people are too busy rebuilding their lives to worry about what the foreign media are saying. The only civil disobedience you'll see is people protecting themselves, when the over-extended government can't do so.

Totally agree. I would love to just sit at my computer all day reading and posting in this thread, but I do have my daily life to take care of...

chompy

slacker
Staff member
Super Moderator
Emperor
Nov 7, 2006
Shibuya Egg-man? (That's 'Egg Bun' in Japanese, Shibuya is one of the little suburbs of Tokyo, so whoever made the map for Fox did something like making a map of New York State and having one location "Manhattan Pastrami" and "Grand Central Buns")
And Shibuya Eggman is actually the name of a live-house (eg: a place where bands play music, not a nuclear reactor). FOX is absolutely wrong in reporting that there is a nuclear reactor anywhere near Tokyo (where, in the event of a real disaster, Tokyo would be significantly affected).
Charlie Brooker mentioned this on his News/Comedy TV show yesterday. Maybe he browses A-O...

I demuxed the section (duration 01m06s) and uploaded it here: http://pant.su/junk/10clockliveclip.mkv

Also, something interesting someone posted on IRC:

[youtube]5sakN2hSVxA[/youtube]

Rollyco

Team Tomoe
Oct 4, 2007
I don't think 30km is an adequate safety buffer zone anymore:

The Fukushima Prefecture said on its website that it measured radiation of 11.20 microsieverts an hour around 0600 GMT in Fukushima City, about 60 kilometers northwest of the plant. It said it detected 2.40 microsieverts an hour in Koriyama City, around 60 kilometers west of the plant, and 0.98 in Iwaki City, about 40 kilometers southwest of the plant, around 0600 GMT. Normal levels at these locations range between 0.04 and 0.06 microsievert an hour.

Source: http://e.nikkei.com/e/fr/tnks/Nni20110318D18JF326.htm

Rollyco

Team Tomoe
Oct 4, 2007
To put those numbers in perspective:

The lowest clearly carcinogenic level is 100 mSv/year, or:
11.4 μSv/hour

Fukushima City, 60km NW of the plant is:
11.2 μSv/hour

guy

(;Θ_Θ)ゝ”
Feb 11, 2007
That's great and all, but it requires radiation levels to stay at that level for an entire year before people would (statistically) show health problems.

Even with the possibility of health problems from short term overexposure, the hourly radiation levels continue to go up and down. News outlets do a disservice to its audience by only reporting radiation levels at only a single point in time (ie: without showing whether the numbers have been increasing/decreasing, what the daily average is, etc).

Meanwhile, a lot of other people will die in less than a year up in the Tohoku region, if we all are too busy freaking out about a "possible" (but not necessarily probable) post-nuclear wasteland and don't bother sending them food, heat, and medicine.

Rollyco

Team Tomoe
Oct 4, 2007
it requires radiation levels to stay at that level for an entire year
That's what I said: 100 mSv/year. I (mistakenly?) assumed the reader would make his/her own deductions from the data.

News outlets do a disservice to its audience by only reporting radiation levels at only a single point in time (ie: without showing whether the numbers have been increasing/decreasing, what the daily average is, etc).
I completely agree. The lead in that story was the slightly elevated radiation levels in Tokyo, with reference to average daily values. I didn't quote them since they are insignificant. I did report the 60km Fukushima values because I believe they are the highest recorded yet, showing a negative trend. I can't tell you how long they lasted because I just don't know.

if we all are too busy freaking out
Please post news about the Tsunami relief efforts. I haven't had much time to follow that side of the story. I'm sorry if the nuke crisis freaks you out, but I haven't been scaremongering. I've been reporting breaking news in English.