24 hours to download torrent??

banjony

Feb 12, 2008
OK, I am a computer imbecile, and I am downloading my first torrents and they take like 24 hours or more to download!! Is this normal? I dont think I can take that! lol

Please help

Thanks

desioner

Sustaining L.I.F.E.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 22, 2006
There are a few factors that you have to take into consideration...
A: Not under your control.
1: Your internet connection. If your on dail up forget it. If your on braodband your ok but there are other factors to remember.
2: Your ISPs bandwith limits even though you're on broadband yuor ISP might limit the amount of data you can up/download.
3: The number of seeds in the swarm. Seeds are people that have completed the download and are sharing it. No seeds=no download, 1~3seeds=slow download. The more seeds there are the faster your potnetial download will be.
4: The sizer of the torrent. The largest I've ever seen was ~50GB. It took me over a period of 3 months to download at an average speed of 100kb/s.
B: Under your control.
1: Forwarding your appropriate port number. If your port number is not forwarded properly then you usually can't upload to the swarm. If your not sharing others will not share with you.
2: The application your using. Could use a few tweeks to improve bandwidth and connections.
There are other factors than this but they wouldn't severely effect your downloads. The largest factor is A3 the number of seeds.
When using a PC I'm fond of uTorrent, on Mac I prefer Azureus.
desioner

KBeee

May 17, 2007
Also never upload at your maximum speed, as this will slow down your downloads.

Law240

May 22, 2007
Depends how big is the file?

bigjoeyboy

Mar 4, 2007
24 hours is already quite good for downloading a torrent. Some torrents can take several days! And it's always good practice to keep it running a few days more to seed (return to the network what you've received), there are others also waiting to complete the file. Before leaving the swarm, try to have a ratio of 1.5 to 2.0.

You can start and stop the torrent without issue, i.e. you need to use the computer or bandwidth for something else.

CoolKevin

Nutcase on the loose
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2007
I agree