1080p from DVD

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

columbussnake

Jan 10, 2009
I've noticed that recently in the Direct Download section there are many videos that are 1080p, but they were made from DVD. How is this possible? Is the quality of the video actually better than the original ISO? Many of them are videos that I would download, but their size puts me off. Seems like such large size, would be better served by posting the DVD ISO. Any thoughts?

Casshern2

Senior Member...I think
Mar 22, 2008
There are two things at play here. One - the studios produce normal Standard Definition DVDs for physical disc sales. Nothing more. There are no Blu-ray versions from the big major studios under the DMM umbrella or practically otherwise. Two - these same studios produce these titles in HD for digital sales. So, the HD versions you see are not sourced from the DVD ISO, rather, the DVD is sourced from the HD digital.

Reactions: columbussnake

WillEater

Mar 13, 2008
And as a side thought, several DVD players can provide "Movie Magic" using "Up-scaling Software".
They claim higher than normal resolution.
I'm not sure I need to see those defects in her bottom..

Reactions: columbussnake

columbussnake

Jan 10, 2009
Cashern2 ... Thanks for your help in expanding my very deficient technical education.
WillEater ... I know what you're talking about, but how does this work?
It's still using a DVD.
Does the DVD actually contain more resolution info than we normally see?
Or is it trickery?
Oh ... and dimples on the butt can be cool.

Casshern2

Senior Member...I think
Mar 22, 2008
It is trickery in that the upscale is basically blowing up the image gracefully. These days they do a better job than years ago, but it certainly doesn't increase the quality. And resolution isn't the kicker, it is the bitrate that determines the quality.