meguIV: The Official Akiba-Online DVD Encoder (v1.0.1.1)

Vitreous

°
Former Staff
Sep 13, 2009
It simply too complex, too deep for me.
Many of the recent features were added with the knowledge that I was going to release the script to the wider community - so the complexity has jumped a few notches beyond what we typically need here. However, you don't need to understand every last detail. Noise bypass is used when there's grain in the vid that you want to keep, but the TGMC process is smoothing it over. You just do this:
Code:
QuickTGMC( Preset="Slow", NoiseBypass=2 ) # NoiseBypass=1 for a lighter effect
That will use the defaults to recover some of the grain you're after...
If you want a stronger (or lighter) effect use NoiseRestore (experiment with the value, up or down):
Code:
QuickTGMC( Preset="Slow", NoiseBypass=2, NoiseRestore=1.0 )

That's it.

Konata Izumi

Mar 27, 2008
:hi:

Excuse me... this is my first time using MeguIV
I followed the instructions carefully on the first post.

the estimated time for my 2hr movie to encode is soooo slow... there is one job that shows an estimated time of 22hrs!!!
Processing Rate: 2.4FPS

I'm using AMD Phenom II X2 550 Black Edition (3.10ghz)
I have 768MB RAM. :exhausted:
NVIDIA GEFORCE 8200 Integrated GPU

How can I make things faster?

Rollyco

Team Tomoe
Oct 4, 2007
You have 768MB of RAM installed, or available?

isityours

People don't dance no mo'
Sep 27, 2008
if it is possible to enable those 'blocked' cores then you will get a significant speed boost, but even still it will not be usable with that amount of RAM. in comparison i use this for ripping with meguIV and it gets an average of about 10-12fps (auto overclock).

Konata Izumi

Mar 27, 2008
My integrated gpu is taking some 256mb memory from my RAM.

I can lower the RAM share to my GPU down to 32-64mb so I could have around almost 1GB RAM available but this will lower down my GPU's approx total memory alot.

Do you think thats a good idea? :puzzled:

about unlocking cores. My mobo doesnt have the Advanced Clock Calibration feature to unlock hidden cores of my Black Edition ^^

QuickTGMC( Preset="Fast", Sharpness=0.35, Tuning="DV-HD" )

Will this script work for DVD9 source? :D

If I use QuickTGMC will it reduce the time for pre-rendering job to finish?

Vitreous

°
Former Staff
Sep 13, 2009
I can lower the RAM share to my GPU down to 32-64mb so I could have around almost 1GB RAM available but this will lower down my GPU's approx total memory alot.
Do you think thats a good idea?
MeguIV does not use GPU memory - it should be fine to reduce it during processing to the minimum your system needs. You will still be very low on RAM though.

Will this script work for DVD9 source? :D
If I use QuickTGMC will it reduce the time for pre-rendering job to finish?
QuickTGMC works for any interlaced source. It is designed to speed up the pre-rendering job, but it does not affect the second pass. You can speed up the second pass: during the "One-Click" process, press the "Config" button for "Video Preset" and drag the "Presets" slider.

Vitreous

°
Former Staff
Sep 13, 2009
i use this for ripping with meguIV and it gets an average of about 10-12fps (auto overclock).
Rollyco, don't want to bug you too much, but is there any news on a new MeguIV? Is say this because there's a lot of people who would benefit from the recent faster scripts and plugins. For example, isityours should be getting twice that speed with his rig.

In fact I have a dillemma, because I've already modified a MeGui for my own use and I know how to package everything required due to this post. I could post a MeguVit, but I don't want to tread on the BOFH's toes... :scared:

Rollyco

Team Tomoe
Oct 4, 2007
I had planned to integrate some of your presets (not Medium or lesser quality ones) into a new version, but I've put that on the back-burner due to other responsibilities.

Don't let me stop you from releasing a "MeguVit" if you want. One possibility would be to start from the released version of meguIV and a virgin Sandbox, make whatever changes needed, and release the "Sandbox" folder compressed as a .ZIP file. That way the user can just drop it into the same path as their meguIV.exe.

isityours

Sep 27, 2008
i didnt want to post that question either because there has been so much work put into both deveopment and creation of meguIV, and by vitreous with all his scripting etc. i follow this thread (although 99% of it is way out out of my league) and posting 'new version please' sounds suspiciously like 'avi please' or 'meguIV rip please' but i find this such a handy tool and would love to see it available in a version that has more options/presets. ecpecially ones that might give me "twice that speed".
in quiet anticipation.

if i could be so bold as to offer a few things that i would find useful:
-the ability to choose 30 or 60fps
-be able to apply quality settings to both (30 and 60)
-a checkbox/dropbox to toggle vit's edge cleaning script
-a preset for deinterlacing other file forms (eg recent CD rips)

please treat the above as you would treat a 'MeguIV avi please' request.

thanks again to both of you for your time and effort.

EDIT
oh, and the name should be MeguIVit (inkeeping with the original title). that can be divided as MeguI Vit (meh-goo-eye-vit) or MeguIV it (meh-goo-eye-vee-it). whichever does it for you.

no__One

May 27, 2007
As M. isityours. (You summaryzed it really well) I couldn't tell it better.

In my point of view, All your suggestions are awesome improvements and easiness for all MeguIV lovers, they / We be in heaven with them.

Only my two cents... :scared:

Thanks a lot for all your hardwork :cheer:

Vitreous

°
Former Staff
Sep 13, 2009
meguIVit 0.2.1 - A package of presets and plugins to speed up meguIV

meguIVit is an addon to meguIV that achieves the same quality rips faster and provides a range of ripping speeds suitable for almost any hardware. It also provides 60fps support, an edge cleaning/dehaloing algorithm and a bunch of other tweakables. It works by using my QuickTGMC & EdgeClean scripts and the latest, fastest AviSynth plugins. Please advise me if you have any problems.

Download MeguIVit 0.2.1
Latest changes: Added option to use ffmpeg instead of mencoder, updated all tools (including QTGMC & x264) and added some GUI tweaks

Installation / Upgrade:
- Install meguIV 1.0.1.1 if you haven't already.
- Go to your meguIV folder and delete the "Sandbox" folder (if there is one). Then extract the zip file from this post into the meguIV folder.
- If you get crashes on 64-bit Windows 7 with the standard version then try one of these alternates (from the 0.1.4 version): 64-bit Win7 A, 64-bit Win7 B. Only use if you are getting crashes

Uninstallation
- Just delete the "Sandbox" folder again. It will be reinstated to a clean version the next time you run meguIV.

Usage
Follow the steps below in addition to the instructions in the main meguIV post:

[fullattach]333875[/fullattach]

Main Step A: After pressing the "OneClick" button, choose one of the presets beginning with [Vit] in the "OneClick Profile" dropdown.
- Each preset defines: 30 or 60fps, the encoding speed for the first pass (A:placebo=slowest to K:Draft=fastest) and optional edge cleaning.
- The preset "30fps D: Slow" is roughly the equivalent of meguIV standard settings.
- Be careful not to misread the 30fps / 60fps.
- Edge cleaning is only available on a couple of speed settings (or there would be too many choices!). Edge cleaning takes time; strong edge cleaning is slower
- You can rip 24/25/50 fps material, just choose the nearest fps setting and follow the advice in Step B below

Optional Extras
There are a few other tweaks you can make (but it's usually best to stick with the defaults):

[fullattach]333876[/fullattach] [fullattach]333877[/fullattach]

Optional Step B: If you have a rip that is coming out too large - either a long video or one with complex scenery (e.g. outdoors, water), you can choose a different "Video Profile". However, only do this where necessary as it reduces quality. The profile descriptions are self explanatory: for standard definition rips (e.g. DVD) use 480p; ensure you match the 30 or 60fps setting you chose in step A.
If you are ripping 24/25/50fps material, you will want to use the "A Bit Smaller" or "Much Smaller" settings here
The "[IV] High Quality" setting is a tweaked version of Rollyco's original MeguIV setting (OK to use now). It's very similar to the default [Vit] 30fps setting, but a little lower quality and a tiny bit faster

Optional Step C: You can adjust the speed of the second pass by first pressing the "Config" button for the "Video Profile", then sliding the "Presets" slider in the "x264 Configuration Dialog". However, you should avoid using the faster settings if possible as you will lose quality and get a larger file. The slower settings will reduce the final filesize a little.

Optional Step D: You can also adjust the audio "Codec". There are several [Vit] settings for AAC and MP3: the higher Q values give better quality, but a slightly larger filesize. The estimated bitrates are given in the preset name.

Notes
- When posting your rips, use the [HQ] prefix if both first and second pass presets were at least "Slow". For example, standard meguIV is "30fps D: Slow", my posts are "60fps C: Slower + Light EdgeClean". Faster settings can give good quality and may be necessary for slower machines, but we want to encourage people to use the best settings where possible.

- If you get mencoder.exe crashes then go to the main window and select Options>>Settings. Then check "Use FFmpeg for pre-render encoding" and it will use ffmpeg instead. Use whichever is more robust for you - mencoder is faster.

Extra thanks to Rollyco for the meguIV package and to isityours for the name meguIVit.

Rollyco

Team Tomoe
Oct 4, 2007
For installation, you should delete your existing "Sandbox" path before extracting Vitreous' .ZIP file.

Vitreous

°
Former Staff
Sep 13, 2009
For installation, you should delete your existing "Sandbox" path before extracting Vitreous' .ZIP file.
(Edit) I not sure that's needed for this first version but thinking ahead, we might need to delete the Sandbox when installing the next version of MeguIVit (in case there's any redundancy) so let's get into the habit...

Couple of notes regarding that the new Sandbox contents:
- I had to compile two empty DLLs (VerticalCleaner.dll and mt_masktools-25.dll) to allow me to supercede them in the plugins folder just by unzipping.
- I had to put yadif.dll in the same folder as MeGUI.exe (the working directory during encoding). It should go in the system path (along with avisynth.dll), but for some reason although it appeared in the correct folder, AviSynth didn't seem to think it was in the system path and wouldn't find it...

Vitreous

°
Former Staff
Sep 13, 2009
I'm noticing problems with the two high speed presets that use Yadif (Super Fast and Ultra Fast). The Yadif plugin is particularly annoying to load into AviSynth and it's really not liking being packaged into the Sandbox. So I've upped a temporary meguIVit 0.1.1, which removes Yadif while I investigate. Super Fast and Ultra Fast will use TDeInt as a replacement for now.

I also missed enabling MP4 output for some of the OneClick presets - fixed now.

Vitreous

°
Former Staff
Sep 13, 2009
Latest version of meguIVit 0.1.2 resolves the problems above. The Super Fast and Ultra Fast presets now give excellent speed and fair quality without problems.

Turns out the problem was in masktools v2 - the mt_average function used in QuickTGMC crashing sometimes. Updated QuickTGMC to use AviSynth's internal Merge function instead

isityours

Sep 27, 2008
so i made a rip of ayaka ootani's new one last night using vit's 0.1.2.
i chose
first pass: [Vit] 30fps D: Slow and second pass: [IV] High Quality
because it was suggested that this was comparable to standard MeguIV settings. the first thing i noticed was the behaviour. MeguIV, when starting deinterlacing, would rush to 13 or 14fps in about 1 minute, then drop fairly rapidly to 9 or 8 fps (within a further 2 minutes) then would climb slowly back up to plateau at between 10~12fps after a further 15mins. when i used MeguIVit it started climbing slowly, but very steadily from 0. within 5 mins or so it was slowing down as it reached the 14fps mark and so i flipped back to browsing, just assuming it would stop soon. when i came back after about 25mins (around the 35-40min mark) it was ripping at an unprecedented 19.60 odd fps. considering previous speeds were ~12fps this is most of 100% speed increase. the vid was just shy of 90 mins but i was able to rip it start to finish in just on 3 hours.
i think i can see a slight drop in quality and lines seem to blur a little under quick movement but considering the speed increase, i think that is acceptable.

one question. what are the three [Vit] audio presets equivalent to in kbps? the [IV] settings are AAC or MP3 128 ABR but i couldnt figure out yours.

MeguIVit is a seriously complimentary addition to the simplicity of MeguIV.
once again i would like to thank both Rollyco for making it in the first place and to Vitreous for all the work he has also put into it, and for making all those presets for the common man like me.

if you havent tried it then you need to.

(sorry the above sounds like a 6th graders short story but i honestly dont have the ability to give you anything more technical)