WMV to MKV Re-encoding Help

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

SamKook

Grand Wizard
Staff member
Super Moderator
Uploader
May 10, 2009
First thing you need to know is that as soon as you re-encode something, you'll lose quality, that's unavoidable(unless you use a lossless format, but those make HUGE files that will be bigger than your source so they're not worth mentioning for this).

The resulting quality of an encodes depends on the settings you select for said encode. In software like Any video converter, that's decided with the profile you choose and they'll often try to make them go fast since that's what people want, but fast in the encoding world is almost always synonymous with low quality. There's no easy answer, and with a software like that, it's probably an impossible goal unless you can edit the profiles yourself, but that would require quite a bit of knowledge to modify the settings properly assuming it allows you to do it.

The trick is to find settings that will do what you want without the resulting encode having a noticeable drop in quality. The script I made above is so that I could easily reduce the file size of videos that were too big for their quality level using settings that works well most of the time.
Getting that big a reduction like you're trying to achieve is probably too ambitious of a goal without having a noticeable drop in quality, but depending on the source, reducing the file size to half of it could be realistic and is often the case when I use it.

My suggestion would be to use the script I made since it's the easiest way to get a smaller file and keeping the quality high and to modify the following line:
Code:
SET x264param=--preset slower --crf 21 --deblock -1:-1 --psy-rd 1.0:0.10
to this(which I think I left commented above the previous one since it's what I use):
Code:
SET x264param=--preset veryslow --crf 21 --deblock -1:-1 --psy-rd 1.0:0.10

and if the filesize is still too big for you, you can modify 21 to something slightly higher(you can use decimal point numbers) which will reduce quality, but also the file size. I personally wouldn't go higher than 23 or 24 since you'll really start to see the quality decline around there. HD sources can be more forgiving though.

Be warned that it will be very slow though(as the preset names says), but there's no way around that if you want to keep the quality as high as possible.

Last edited:
Reactions: nin1

odonkor

Jul 9, 2013
sorry, can reply now, a lot of work to do, oh by the way I've just re-encoded AVI file 1.09 gb to Mp4 files 500 mb in just a few seconds, if I do it right or not?

because I saw savajex re-encode files, she takes 8 hour to do it

best regards

nb
ok, it turns out that i use Mp4box before i use the bat file :oops:, im so confused used avisynth:D

Last edited:

nin1

Oct 6, 2008
AVI same as MP4 are containers and file extensions. Is there such thing as "re-encoding avi to mp4"? Maybe hard to understand, right?
To me Mp4 just sort of defines the extension over the ISO Base Media File Format to support MPEG-4.

jugulear

Akiba Citizen
Jan 20, 2012
I remembered this thread from so long ago... before Odonkor (hi, Odonkor!) revived it, some three years later. I remember how Savajex was once in the dark about all of this, and then thanks to SamKook's advice (I can see he was more like Sir Galahad here), she became an expert in her own right... she would kindly upload so many movies, after having taken the trouble to convert them. Reading the first page is also reminding me of how sad it is that Savajex is no longer around. By the same token, it gives a fuzzy feeling that the wondrous SamKook is still around.

Remembering this thread and re-reading the first page has also reminded me of what an idiot I am on this subject, and I'll be darned if I understood almost anything. (The fact that SamKook's explanatory attachments have unfortunately disappeared makes comprehension even more difficult.) When I need to knock a file down to size, I use Any Video Converter which certainly does result in a visible loss of quality. If the quality loss is too unbearable, I keep raising the video bitrate (under video options) until I can live with the change. The prior version of Any Video Converter was not speedy, but I am shocked at how absurdly fast the more recent version is. There have been times in the past when the conversion result would be bad no matter what, and in those cases I would bite the bullet and do a conversion in my video editing program (Vegas) which would take hours.

I wish I could be more of an expert on the topic, but that would take time and dedication. We all can't have the genius of SamKook, which only makes sense, because then SamKook would not be as special as he is.

odonkor

Jul 9, 2013
hi jug!, good to see you again. it looks like I gave up with Avisynth, SamKook sorry I'm not a good student, and returned to any video converter that seems quite I understand

I just wanted to drop the video file size such as those in javpop.com, they have a lot of videos that I think is pretty good quality

jugulear

Akiba Citizen
Jan 20, 2012
As much as the bad part about Javpop is the terrible downloading speed for their WuShare filehoster, isn't the good part (aside from the comprehensiveness of their library) that they have kept their file sizes small? Sometimes I bite the bullet and go with Javpop when other options have sizes over 1.0 GB.

So would not downloads from Javpop generally not need to be reduced? (Once in a while they overdo it, with let's say 700 MB for two-hour movies, but that is not unreasonable in this era of multi-gigabyte files.)

EDIT:
Reread and I think I misunderstood... Odonkor did not write that he wished to reduce Javpop offerings, merely providing Javpop offerings as an example of reduced file sizes. Well, it takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. (See, I emerged as the hero of this story, after all.)

Last edited:
Reactions: CoolKevin