What would you want in an anisong club / japanese hangout?

jigenbakuda

Chiaki's Fanboy
Dec 8, 2007
I just posted this on anime suki and I'd like to know what you guys think about it as well. I know you guys are more about fapping to j-girls, but I know quite a few of you really like japanese culture as well. So I thought that your opinion would be valuable as well.

I'm thinking about starting a business with a japanese theme. The japanese businesses in my city consist of nothing but japanese steak houses and sushi bars, which I feel DO NOT in the slightest represent the typical japanese person / contemporary japan. So I wish to be the voice of change. It might not be possible for me to realise my dreams, but I want to give it a shot.

To do this I need to see what types of things would people spend their money on. I wanted to do a japanese street food / geek lounge by day and at night throw anisong parties. I'm simplifying, but these are my general thoughts.

What types of things would you like to see in a place like this? What types of food, what kind of songs, or would you just avoid it all together?

jigenbakuda

Chiaki's Fanboy
Dec 8, 2007
Well I'd love to throw anisong parties in the building after regular business hours are over on a saturday or friday. (A couple latin restaurants do this to turn their restaurant into a salsa club on the weekends) I'd play anime music and video game music, but I'd want it to have a lounge feeling, where the music is not super loud, but the music is all good and there are places to sit and talk, or if you are not into that, things to do by yourself as you just chill in the environment. Perhaps magazines to read magazines or manga or photobooks if you are into that sort of thing and watch anime playing on screens and stuff.

When I went to a maid cafe in japan I was surprised at how little of it is actually about the food and more about the decor and the chill factor. You know chilling with the cosplayers chatting them up and just relaxing was what you were really paying the extremely high prices for

I want to have that feel in my place. Just a place you can come and relax in, while surrounded by japanese stuff. I don't want to back myself into an otaku-only corner, I really want to introduce non-japanophiles to a more realistic japan... you know japan is not zen gardens and samurais anymore, so lets see a more modern japan. So it won't be K-on and miku hatsune posters everwhere in the day, but they will be everywhere at the anisong party. Thats my direction. A lot of specifics are up in the air, but thats the general idea.

So as far as food goes I'd like to offer standard junk food you could buy at lawsons or some place like that, mixed with japanese street vendor food. You know honenashi chicken, yakisoba pan, regular yakisoba, oden, various teas (chilled) regular green tea, simple bentou options (rice a meat and a veggie mix), maybe okonomiyaki(if I learn how to make it decently), taiyaki, random stuff on a stick lol(from weiners to spam), etc... nothing gourmet just common stuff regular japanese people eat. I have not thought about all the things I can cook but this is a general idea.

If there is anything that you would like to see in a place like this please mention it. If you think something would be non-sense mention it, just general thoughts and ideas are good.

kunoichi

Occasional Visitor
Mar 26, 2007
Natto & Vocaloid songs 24/7 :grassdance:

I'm just kidding of course, I haven't really tried any japanese food and I don't really like sea food so I might not be the person to when it comes to food. However there are some japanese girls showing off various recipes on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/user/ochikeron/videos
http://www.youtube.com/user/Kumigar/videos
and probably a lot more :tea:

Maybe a good idea to offer food commonly seen in anime or dramas?

As for music, I like the JCore scene a bit, but might not be something suitable for everyone :exhausted: , anyway this guy makes pretty good jcore mixes, probably not be suitable for the longue type scenario you were thinking of though: :grassdance:
http://www.youtube.com/user/DjKnuXCore

I still think the hard part would be to get the word out though... But if you think you are up for it, just give go for it and give it a try! :notagain: :cheer: