Rearview mirror with camera and LED display

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

ardo

Mar 2, 2010
New in-car camera/rearview mirror from Hamwha...

rearview.jpg

It looks more or less like a normal rearview mirror but has an internal camera pointing forward to record what’s happening in front of your vehicle.

Unlike other in-car recorders that you attach to the windshield, the advantage of this rearview mirror is that it doesn’t obstruct your view. It activates automatically when you turn on the engine, and automatically starts overwriting the old footage in a continuous loop so that you don’t have to worry about replacing the storage media when it’s full and missing out on something.

http://www.japantoday.com/category/new-products/view/rearview-mirror-with-camera-and-led-display

The right side of the mirror consists of a LCD display that can show what’s being recorded currently or play back what’s already been recorded. To make it even more nifty (and practical), the device includes a GPS and accelerometer, so that along with your video footage, data on your location and motion also gets recorded.

A 2 GB SD card should record about 130 minutes of video, and power is supplied from your car’s cigarette lighter.

According to the Umazon product page, video by this camera is recorded at 25 frames per second and is 640 by 480 resolution.
This recorder/mirror is available only through Hamwha’s online store, Umazone (the model number is UMA-RMDR02), and costs 14,900 yen.

aquamarine

I Know Better Than You
Mar 19, 2007
Interesting idea. Not exactly new tech though. I had one with an LCD screen in the exact same spot that I hooked up a small camera to help me when backing up into spots... that was back in 2002. Only diff is that I didn't record anything.