Newbie to japan

ttyo888

Mar 4, 2007
:wetland:

Hi I am a member from Singapore.

Okay please do not laugh at me, I am a Kamen Rider fan and I have a friend who is not old enough to visit this forum. He is writing a fic about the bugged eyed hero. He's concept is to ground his fanfic.... as closely as possible to real Japan. So he needs some knowledge about Japan which cannot be obtains from Tourist brochures

Are there any special laws like the ones about knifes.etc?

More...as he asks me.

aquamarine

I Know Better Than You
Mar 19, 2007
When I asked at the Tama Plaza koban, I was told I can not carry a pocket knife which to me makes no sense to me as two blocks away I can buy stun guns, spring loaded batons, butterfly knives and more.

Ceiling Cat

Oct 25, 2008
Yeah, I left my knives at home when I went there... I only carried a small Swiss Army Knife on my key chain and my pocket pliers, which has a blade on it. I've never, however, had a cop stop and ask to search me-- but then again, I've never acted like an idiot there. You can "get away" with stuff there that most cops in the US would hassle you for just so long as you're not being a public nuisance (like being drunk in public-- it's okay so long as you're a polite drunk who keeps to himself). Also, despite what you see on the videos, schoolgirls do not get r***ing everyday on the train. I don't know how Singapore is, but don't be offended if nobody looks you in the eye while on the street-- think of it as an Asian NYC...

ttyo888

Mar 4, 2007
:constipation:hmm I see

Okay then any beliefs that Japanese believe in like say what brings bad luck .etc

aquamarine

I Know Better Than You
Mar 19, 2007
Yep.
Groping a girl on the train is bad luck.
Seeing a non-pixelated vagina will cause impotence later in life.
NOT smoking causes cancer.
If you eat yakiniku, you will fall asleep that night.

Boy howdy, watch out for the last one.

ttyo888

Mar 4, 2007
Oh really? What other beliefs like say....what actions will cause what...kinds of things...

Ceiling Cat

Oct 25, 2008
Um, 4 & 9 = unlucky numbers. Got a girl you wanna marry? Don't visit Kamakura; don't know why, but both my girl and auntie said the same thing-- visiting there as a couple is bad luck for the relationship. Don't stick you chopsticks vertical in the rice, and don't suck on them because it's rude. Aquamarine is right on that last one-- never made it past midnight after gorging myself on wagyu...

buttcheeks

Sep 19, 2008
hate to say it, but if you spent a little time doing some searching on google etc, you'd fond more information than you'll get here and you won't get yur pud pulled by aquamarine either! ha ha.
`cheeks

ttyo888

Mar 4, 2007
Ok I am also curious about the way Japanese address each other. The -san, -chan.etc

Are there a full list of these, this will help a fanfic writer a lot.

aquamarine

I Know Better Than You
Mar 19, 2007
I was 22 at the time, and my girlfriend's father still called me 'chan'. Even now I haven't "out-grown" it.

My underlings call me 'san'
Prior to being self-employed, my co-workers called me 'kun' and my dates just called me "Sugei Ohki Chimpo! Sugei! SUGEI! IKKUUUU!"

n1ghtm4r3

Mar 25, 2008
I was 22 at the time, and my girlfriend's father still called me 'chan'. Even now I haven't "out-grown" it.

My underlings call me 'san'
Prior to being self-employed, my co-workers called me 'kun' and my dates just called me "Sugei Ohki Chimpo! Sugei! SUGEI! IKKUUUU!"

ii na..ii na...japanese girl!!!:relief:

ttyo888

Mar 4, 2007
Oh yah how will you address two persons who have the same sirname like say

Nago Takuya and Nago Daisuke for example.