Japan gives cash to jobless foreigners to go home

Leechasd

Eye of The Beholder
Nov 16, 2006
PDT TOKYO, Japan (AP)
By YURI KAGEYAMA, AP Business Writer

Japan began offering money Wednesday for unemployed foreigners of Japanese ancestry to go home, mostly to Brazil and Peru, to stave off what officials said posed a serious unemployment problem.

Thousands of foreigners of Japanese ancestry, who had been hired on temporary or referral contracts, have lost their jobs recently, mostly at manufacturers such as Toyota Motor Corp. and its affiliates, which are struggling to cope with a global downturn.

The number of foreigners seeking government help to find jobs has climbed in recent months to 11 times the previous year at more than 9,000 people, according to the Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare.

"The program is to respond to a growing social problem," said ministry official Hiroshi Yamashita.

Japan has tight immigration laws, and generally allows only skilled foreign workers to enter the country. The new program applies only to Brazilians and Peruvians of Japanese ancestry who have gotten special visas to do assembly line and other manufacturing labor. It does not apply to other foreigners in Japan, Yamashita said.

The government will give 300,000 yen ($3,000) to an unemployed foreigner of Japanese ancestry who wishes to leave the country, and 200,000 ($2,000) each to family members, the ministry said. But they must forgo returning to Japan. The budget for the aid is still undecided, it said.

The visa program for South Americans of Japanese ancestry was introduced partly in response to a labor shortage in Japan, where the population is shrinking and aging. But the need for such workers has dwindled in recent months after the global financial crisis hit last year. The jobless rate has risen to 4.4 percent, a three-year high.

Tokyo has already allocated 1.08 billion yen ($10.9 million) for training, including Japanese language lessons, for 5,000 foreign workers of Japanese ancestry.

Major companies traditionally offer lifetime employment to their rank and file, and so workers hired on temporary contracts have been the first to lose their jobs in this recession.

Well at least it isn't all foreigners... :dunno:

elgringo14

Survived to Japan
Super Moderator
Apr 28, 2008
Spain has been trying the same with north african "low qualified" workers (but it's not very successful). And maybe more countries are doing or planning similar projects.

Anyway it's all disgusting.

faker19ner

Jun 4, 2008
Spain has been trying the same with north african "low qualified" workers (but it's not very successful). And maybe more countries are doing or planning similar projects.

Anyway it's all disgusting.

Russia has been doing this with N. Korean laborers. They house them all in single rooms. Every day, early in the morning russian cops or military personnel take these N. Koreans out to work. Landscaping, heavy construction work. Japan is strict in their immigration laws not to be shitty.

They're country is just really small. (its not even an island. Its a couple of them) As it is, its already overpopulated. Most Caucasians that i know that work and live over there tend to be english school teachers or work for videogame companies.

I don't understand fully how someone can permanently immigrate over there ( I know i want to) but you have to offer the country more than a strong back. Half of the foreigners that live there are illegals to begin with.

What makes it lousy is that these people worked there legally and if they say that they have japanese ancestry in them then most likely they have family in japan. Not only that but they probably already have friends, boyfriends, girlfriends. Something should be worked out.

chickensaw

Mar 24, 2007
The French are doing the same thing.

Protectionism ho! (It's a BAD thing, if you didn't realize).

This is ridiculous because this burgeoning minority represents Japan's greatest opportunity for demographic growth.

Axandra

Jul 7, 2008
"Use and throw away"

That should sum it up, I guess. These workers, didn't they produce wealth for the Japanese economy?

In many ways, Japanese official's attitude toward foreign residents is worrysome, shortsighted and, it appears to me, sometimes outwardly insolent.

Hmmm... wonder if I should start obfuscating my IP as well if this goes on...

mysoo

Aug 25, 2008
Compare to other countries, Japan is consider quite generous. It's hard to believe Japan Government actually pay foreign workers to leave.
They can just compel the foreign worker to leave and ship them away without paying anything. Most countries actually do that.

It's not Japan government fault. Japanese people suffer as well. It's only natural
for for the government to place priority on their own citizen.

How do you feel if your own government only care about the foreign workers. Do
bear in mind that most countries today don't even have enough fund to feed it's
own citizen. Last but not least, you, your parent and ancestor do paid taxes to the government.

n2y4ever

Jan 18, 2009
That should sum it up, I guess. These workers, didn't they produce wealth for the Japanese economy?

In many ways, Japanese official's attitude toward foreign residents is worrysome, shortsighted and, it appears to me, sometimes outwardly insolent.

Hmmm... wonder if I should start obfuscating my IP as well if this goes on...

Yes Axandra, the south americans brought resources to japanese economy. They did here the 3K jobs (Kitanai, Kiken and Kitsui).
And they always knew about these disposable jobs.
But unfortunatelly some of them thought it´ll be forever, did not save money and got unprepared for this turmoil.
So, I think the japanese official attitude is very welcome, after all there are some homeless and still winter here in Japan.
By the way, I´m brazilian so I know that the japanese government is doing much more than our own native country.:attention:

NoriHiiro

Jun 27, 2008
Here in the US we just give foreign people housing assistance, food stamps, welfare, and free health care. Want to retire early? Come to the US and refuse to work, we'll hook you up. No visa, we'll give you citizenship.

NoriHiiro

Jun 27, 2008
The French are doing the same thing.

Protectionism ho! (It's a BAD thing, if you didn't realize).

This is ridiculous because this burgeoning minority represents Japan's greatest opportunity for demographic growth.

Unfortunately homogeneity really is a thing of the past:death: But flooding a country with people of lower iqs and abilities only waters things down