How to De-Interlace on the Fly with MPC

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

Moxy

JAV Archiever
Dec 22, 2009
Hey all. A while back I posted a similar Tutorial to Akiba but for the life of me, cannot find it so by request, here is another one :)

Basically what this will allow you to do is: De-interlace any video on the fly via shaders. Also theres many other effects like soften and sharpen + Upsample. This will not alter the source video.

How long will it take me to complete: 5 minutes

Things needed:

..Media player classic Home Cinema (MPC)
http://dontknow.me/at/http://mpc-hc.sourceforge.net/

..A fast-ish computer. I'm not talking a NASA built one but a old 286 wont do. Best to just try and see.
..A video card beyond a GF8800 or HD3800 series.

----------------------------------------------

Really simple. Load a video, any video into MPC-HC.

Right Click in the video window and go to Options.

.Go to Playback/Output.

Now a few things need to be altered.

Where it says: Directshow Video

.Set it to VMR 9 (Renderless) **

Now where it says: VMR-7/VMR-9 (Renderless) and EVR CP Setting.

Set the drop down boxes to:

Surface
.3D Surfaces (Recommended)

Resizer
.Bilinear (Note: This can be set to any. Higher you go will place more strain on your PC)

And below the Drop Down Boxes, Tick VMR-9 Mixer Mode.

Almost done....

Press OK to quit the Options page.

Now with a Interlaced Video loaded into MPC-HC, Right click in the video window and select Select Shaders

A window will appear.

In the drop down box at the Top, Select: De-interlance (Blend) and press Add. Now tick the box that says: Enable Pre-resize pixel shaders.

Click OK and watch your video De-Interlaced on the Fly :)

Done......

You can add several filters at once but it will place higher demand on your computer and that's where a faster computer will allow more filters.

You may have noticed a Pre and Post box earlier. Well this is a newer feature of MPC-HC and I haven't seen it before but I presume it applies the filter before and after but I'm not sure of the effect and you will just have to have a play around with it.

It doesn't have to be a Interlaced video, you can use the shaders to just sharpen a video or soften it. Experiment :)

I've written this Tutorial rather quickly but I'm hoping its clear enough to get the idea across. If not then feel free to PM me or post here.

Hope this helps.

Moxy.

Reactions: jospan and tvmotion

SamKook

Grand Wizard
Staff member
Super Moderator
Uploader
May 10, 2009
Thanks, I didn't know mpchc could apply filters by itself.

The deinterlacing one isn't very useful to me since I'm already using a much better one(yadif) with lavfilters, but some in the list can be very useful like the 0-255 -> 16-235 which I often use on my own encodes to fix white that are too bright.

The pre/post thing is to either apply filters before or after the video is resized(by going into fullscreen mode for example) which is an action that alters its quality. So if you want to fix something caused by resizing the video(aliasing or blur for example depending on the resizer used) or something that would be negated somewhat by resizing it, you put it in post and if you want to fix something from the original video, you put it in pre.

Edit: Forgot to say something about deinterlacing; it should always be before resizing or bad things happen. You can experiment with the rest of them.