Cant reach some download sites

franklee

Range Rider
Mar 6, 2008
Howdy all. I am having a problem and wonder if someone knows what is going on. Remember I am no techie, just an old cowboy with poor eyesight and a cheap computer. I am running firefox 7.01 on a windows 7 OS. For some reason for the last two days I cannot load the linked pages in filesonic, wupload, depositffiles, or rapidshare. Although I have never had trouble with these sites before when I try to open the links now my browser grinds away and then gives me the message that the site takes too long to respond.

Uploadstation and megaupload seem to work fine and both require javascript to navigate so I have discounted a problem, with my Java. I thought maybe these sites were down but no one else is reporting any troubles. I am now stumped. Any suggestions from the more tech-savvy among you?

Thanks
Franklee

javhoarder

Consumer of Hard Disks
Sep 20, 2011
I've had no such issues with Filesonic or Wupload.

There might be an issue with routing to those hosts. Open up a command prompt (start>run>cmd.exe), flush your DNS cache with "ipconfig /flushdns" and then type "tracert wupload.com". It should complete successfully.

If there's an error in the middle or you can't resolve the address, you may try using Google DNS.

Also, I suppose aggressive Antivirus/firewall software may be blocking those domains. You could try temporarily disabling what you're running to see if it helps. My antivirus (ESET NOD32) has a web filter, which has caused problems with certain applications.

--

This post should be in the "Tech Support" subforum as the problem isn't directly related to Akiba.

isityours

People don't dance no mo'
Sep 27, 2008
i tried OpenDNS recently and it blocked a download site.

if you are just using these eites as a free user then there is no need to go to them to DL. i highly recommend jdownloader. it will check the availability of links, parse pages, integrate with FF extensions like FlashGot/DownThemAll etc and allows you to enter passwords after the links have been loaded and will extract .rar files for you too. all from the comfort of the GUI. you shouldnt ever need to visit another DDL site again.
if you do need to visit the site for whatever reason then SkipScreen is another nice FF extension, although site compatibility is a little behind.

while probably not relevant, extensions like ghostery, TrackMeNot, Noscript and adblock certainly make browsing more pleasant and safe but can interfere with how sites work.

franklee

Range Rider
Mar 6, 2008
Thanks fellas for your help.

Something interesting happened on Tuesday I got my access to all sites back. I thought the problem may have been a windows update that somehow interfered with my browsing as Internet Explorer was affected as well. But as I said Tuesday saw my browser able to access filesonic, wupload, depositfiles, and rapidshare. My computer had updated the windows again that morning.

However, this weekend I can no longer access those sites again. Am I being blocked? Would it be by the site or is it something my ISP is doing. I have 7 months left on my subscription but if they are blocking me there are other options even broadband wireless ones, so I may change providers. I am waiting to see if my access comes back next Tuesday.

Thanks again for you help. May the ground be soft beneath your bedroll and your boots stay dry and supple.

Franklee

javhoarder

Consumer of Hard Disks
Sep 20, 2011
Run the traceroute. That will help determine if the problem is at your ISP or somewhere inbetween. (Here's a video if you're confused)

If you can take a screenshot, that would be good. The IPs in the output will hint at what city you're living in, so if you don't want to post it here you can PM me, or just sort of describe the output.

franklee

Range Rider
Mar 6, 2008
javhoarder

Thanks for your help. When I ran the traceroute before I guess I did not pay attention as well, as I got to an outside site and thought it was wupload. This time I wrote down wupload's address number and the trace showed that I did not get there. However the one address number I got to was repeated several times along with a lot of other addresses that were clearly internal to my ISP. I guess this means I am being blocked there. Time to go look for a new ISP.

Thanks again and I will raise a black lager to you. May you never catch a finger in your dally, may your duster never leak.

Franklee

javhoarder

Consumer of Hard Disks
Sep 20, 2011
Did you try Google DNS?

"one address... repeated several times" sounds like a routing issue, which may or may not be caused by your ISP. Google DNS might find you an alternate route.

Here is what a successful traceroute looks like:
attachment.php

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
I guess this means I am being blocked there.

A simple answer is to use a proxy to bypass ISP blocking.
Open proxies can be found here:
http://www.samair.ru/proxy/type-01.htm

proxies can be checked here:
http://www.stilllistener.com/checkpoint1/

A VPN is also another solution. There is a nice list of VPN providers here:
http://torrentfreak.com/which-vpn-providers-really-take-anonymity-seriously-111007/

They are both easy to use and you can google for more information or perhaps just ask here in this thread. It is easier to circumvent an ISP's vain attempts to control your surfing through the use of blocklists than to find an ISP that does not have them. ISPs' are under no obligation to reveal, nor will they, the content of, or reasons for, their blocklists. This type of censorship I detest with the utmost pregidous.