Avoid Helio (US phone service)

kbryc08

Master Cheef
Super Moderator
Nov 17, 2006
I bought the Helio Ocean when it first came out, about a year ago, along with a bluetooth headset (Samsung WEP200). I recently bought the same headset again because the previous one died from an assault via watergun.
The Ocean failed to detect the headset and when it did manage to detect it, the phone told me the device was unsupported.

So I call Helio and let them know the bluetooth on my phone doesn't work and I want a replacement phone. Mind you I have insurance on the phone and the headset was purchased at the official helio website. To put it bluntly, the people answering the phones there are inept, they put you on hold after every sentence I say to 'look it up.'
Anyhow I tell them my situation and the fact that I actually have 3 of the same exact headset (one of them being the one that died). I tell them I want a new phone and one of them even said "uh oh this is getting controversial" in response to me asking for a replacement phone.

I argue with a supervisor and what she decides to do, the genius that she is, is send me ANOTHER headset. Yup, the same one. This was last week so as of right now I have 4 Samsung WEP 200s. I called them today to let them know my phone doesn't detect that headset either so now I go through the motions and do the standard soft and hard reset on my phone.

Of course that doesn't work so now Tracy (the customer rep) finally says its time to take this to TIER TWO. So I'm on hold again for the 5th time on this call. Ten minutes later she comes back and tells me there is nothing they can do but since I have insurance they can send me a new phone!

Great!!! Until she tells me I still need to pay $50 for them to send me a replacement phone. I'm willing to bet it would be refurbished phone and thats in a shittier condition than the one i have. So now I have to send back the worthless headset they sent me and I'm wondering whether I should cancel my service with them right now.

The phone is absolutely awesome with the exception of the finicky bluetooth but the customer support has completely soured my experience with Helio as a company.

So, Helio sucks and avoid them if possible.

/end of rant

Red Valentine

May 18, 2008
I didn't know why, but ever since I first saw a helio commercial, I just didn't like them. At first all I had to go on was their arrogant propaganda ad, which, lots of products have, but now I actually have something to go on... (not that it matters now, since helio has been around for a while)

tekate

Mar 19, 2008
Sorry that this happened to ya. You'd think the Helion phones would work well with samsung headsets, since samsung's got a pretty big role in the helio company.