1:1 Scaled Life Size Gundam Completed

Leechasd

Eye of The Beholder
Nov 16, 2006
20scf9h.jpg

In Tokyo's Odaiba Shiokaze Park, stands the 59-foot-tall giant mecha but isn't for public unveiling until July 11th, 2009.

The MBS was built to commemorate the "Mobile Suit Gundam 30th Anniversary Project" on April 7th, 2009 as first anime series about Mobile Suits, Mobile Suit Gundam. It will stay up until the end August 31st and viewing will be free.

What you'll get is a moveable head, 50 points on the Gundam are lit, and mist that shoots out of 14 different points on the statue. Videos below.

[youtube]bfbXFYLo9dw[/youtube][youtube]F1TKh8TyR1E[/youtube]
[youtube]zKx7Y9LcuK0[/youtube]

Sakunyuusha

Jan 27, 2008
Never seen a single Gundam episode all the way through. Never seen a single minute of the original series. But even I am speechless with a stupid grin on my face thanks to this news story. So thank you very much for sharing it with us. Man, oh man. If I was a Gundam fan? I'd probably have to cough up the plane ticket, no joke, and witness this before it was dismantled. I mean ... how often do you get to say that you've seen a life-size replica of a Gundam? Has this ever been done before?

Just seeing this makes me want to learn mechanical engineering and join a national security team commissioned to build this puppy for real. XD Yeah yeah yeah, it's not practical, but ... man. Man, oh man. :D

Great find. And it's happy news for a change! Thank you once again.

elgringo14

Survived to Japan
Super Moderator
Apr 28, 2008

Sakunyuusha

Jan 27, 2008
I saw the words "gundam 30th anniversary ..." on the main index and assumed it was about a DVD collection. :(

fr0stbyte

Former Staff
Apr 8, 2008
Heh.. I'd have to cough up $430 for the trip. But then I'm broke so I'd have to pass on this monumental occasion. T_T

Sakunyuusha

Jan 27, 2008
the 1st gundam

The first gundam, and yet it's Number 2 in the RX-78 series ...? I'm guessing there's probably a story behind that. Like the original series, perhaps? lol

Maybe I should watch it. Did they ever remaster the 1970s Gundam? And if they did, was the remastered version loyal to the original or did it make controversial changes? Wikipedia seems to suggest that there are seven different Gundams but that only the original and Zeta Gundam are of the original timeline and that all the others are more like "canonical fanfics" which took place in different dimensions. :\ So did they ever redo either '79 Gundam or '85 Zeta Gundam? I mean, if they felt the need to redo Kanon in under 5 years, you'd think by now somebody would have come up and said, "I love the original as much as the next guy, but we must all admit that the animation is really quite old and it's time for a face lift."

Thing is, 30 years haven't really done enough to the cartoon to make watching it intolerable, and I suppose that's part of the answer to my very question. I'm amazed by some of the special effects I see in the Youtube videos for the original Gundam series, particularly the way in which the mecha swivels around its vertical axis like a ballerina for those zoom-in zoom-out-again shots of the mecha's head as he the robot strikes a victory pose or a "here I come to save the day" pose shortly after launch. First of all, I'm amazed because they did this 30 years ago and American cartoons from 30 years ago (anyone else remember the old X-Men cartoon? XD) were goddamned terrible. You put He-Man up against Gundam and it's just no fucking contest. Gundam's animation staff kicks the He-Man animation staff's collective ass! (And I'm not saying it to rag on He-Man! I'm just pointing out how incredible this cartoon looks for something that first aired in 1979!)

But my amazement enters a whole other realm of "whoa" when I consider these two additional factors:
(1) it blows my naive mind to think that even back in the '70s we had dreamers who dreamed up the sexy SFX and camera angles we've only gotten the privilege of seeing in the last 15 years' worth of cinema (courtesy of advances in cinematography). These dreamers were able to make their visions come to life back in the '70s courtesy of pencil and paper and colored ink. Amazing.

(2) no computers to assist you. :O

jupiter999

loves Tada Mizuho only...
Apr 2, 2008
just RX-78 2. it was the 1st gundam so no fancy names like Freedom or Wing

Wooahh~ Salute you man, because you know so much about these!
And thanks for the link as well, because it's quite enlightening!
Thanks everyone

Axandra

Jul 7, 2008
This is indeed so cool. I really don't know anything at all about Gundam (sorry, just an old Bugs Bunny fan here) but I can understand the feeling of its fans. Now if I could only walk through a full size replica of NCC-1701-D!

Sakunyuusha

Jan 27, 2008
You reminded me of this classic from childhood, and I figured I'd share it with the board. Thanks, Axandra. :)

Edit: Here's a different guy who uploaded both parts:
1 = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GR0hfgJB4Z4
2 = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDerGxAi0Sg

Just for fun, check out this fan reaction to LeVar Burton on stage: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1BrWVDwVPM . It's just like that one person wrote: "wow, Reading Rainbow made him like a rockstar lol." It appears to have done precisely that. O_O XD Wow. I don't think I've seen people cheer that loudly at a presidential campaign rally!

daredemonai

Retiree
Mar 19, 2009
Apologies if I'm repeating something already mentioned in the thread elgringo14 linked to, but Gundam was not the first "first anime series about Mobile Suits", if you define "mobile suit" as a giant, non-intelligent, humanoid vehicle/weapon that is controlled by a pilot sitting inside. That would be Mazinger Z, created by manga artist Go Nagai in 1972.

Nitpicking aside, though, this is freaking awesome.

For what it's worth, there is a not-quite-life-sized statue of Mazinger Z in a Spanish forest, of all places. You can actually see it (barely) on Google Maps.

I'm personally looking forward to the completion of the 18-meter Tetsujin 28-gou (a.k.a. "Gigantor") statue that will appear in Kobe in September. Check out this awesome video of the construction.
[youtube]h8P33ohPhXc[/youtube]
And here's an image of what it should look like when completed:
p1.jpg

Tetsujin 28 predates both Gundam and Mazinger Z by quite a few years, but he (it?) was a radio-controlled, giant, non-intelligent, humanoid robot. :hero:

elgringo14

Survived to Japan
Super Moderator
Apr 28, 2008
Apologies if I'm repeating something already mentioned in the thread elgringo14 linked to, but Gundam was not the first "first anime series about Mobile Suits", if you define "mobile suit" as a giant, non-intelligent, humanoid vehicle/weapon that is controlled by a pilot sitting inside. That would be Mazinger Z, created by manga artist Go Nagai in 1972.

What Gundam has really started, was the "real robot" anime, opposed to the traditional "super robot" anime derived from Mazinger & others.
This means the robot was not unique, but fabricated on an industrial level, piloted by many different persons. And had no personality by itself. Still they have a key role in the story.
Also the weaponry was much more realistic, "light" or fictional physics are used, hence the "real" classification.
It that sense Gundam '79 was a pioneer of its kind.

Bloody Kimono

Mar 10, 2007
1/1 (18M Tall) Scale RX-78-2 Gundam In Odaiba, Japan.

I Present To You : :hero:

The 1/1 scale statue of the Gundam RX-78-2 being built in Odaiba as part of Mobile Suit Gundam’s 30th anniversary celebrations now appears to be completed.

The statue will first be exhibited freely at a park in Odaiba, Tokyo, along with other anniversary celebrations, and will then be moved around the country.

The unit will be constructed in modular parts to enable mobility to be maintained, with a steel frame and fibre-reinforced-plastic exterior. The head will be able to move up and down and from left to right. 50 lights installed in the unit will add to the effect, along with smoke generators.

Official Site : http://www.greentokyo-gundam.jp/

Pics Links From Sankaku Complex : http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2009/0...78-2-up-close/

Video Link : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiPR2XZ3kyM