JavLuv JAV Browser

TmpGuy

JavLuv author, lesbian connoisseur
Jun 1, 2013
With all due respect, this sounds like a storage management issue, not a JavLuv issue.

Actresses are notoriously difficult for JavLuv to manage, due to the nature of the Japanese language, and how there isn't really an exact English name for a given Japanese name. Add to this the issue that actresses sometimes change names throughout their careers (some have many aliases), two possible name orderings, and the problem grows even more tricky. Hibiki Otsuki is my favorite example, as there are no less than three valid ways to spell "Otsuki".

1717036869302.png

I attempt to alleviate this with fuzzy algorithms that employ a "closest match" in case of minor spelling differences, but I didn't want to introduce too many false positives. It works most of the time, but does sometimes require manual intervention.

If there's a name with no corresponding database entry, JavLuv will create one, or else it ends up having issues. If you delete it, it will just be recreated later. So, merging it is the correct answer, as this will also merge names such that the alternate name is preserved.

In theory, JavLuv should have dealt with name order, so long as the websites scraped from display the name consistently. So I'm not sure why that's occurring.

Reactions: Moxy

SamKook

Grand Wizard
Staff member
Super Moderator
Uploader
May 10, 2009
Considering how often I have to tell some people who use javlibrary as their info source when posting here that there are mistakes in the actresses name, I doubt the names are consistent across the different ones.

soles

May 7, 2024
Actresses are notoriously difficult for JavLuv to manage, due to the nature of the Japanese language, and how there isn't really an exact English name for a given Japanese name. Add to this the issue that actresses sometimes change names throughout their careers (some have many aliases), two possible name orderings, and the problem grows even more tricky. Hibiki Otsuki is my favorite example, as there are no less than three valid ways to spell "Otsuki".

View attachment 3490961

I attempt to alleviate this with fuzzy algorithms that employ a "closest match" in case of minor spelling differences, but I didn't want to introduce too many false positives. It works most of the time, but does sometimes require manual intervention.

If there's a name with no corresponding database entry, JavLuv will create one, or else it ends up having issues. If you delete it, it will just be recreated later. So, merging it is the correct answer, as this will also merge names such that the alternate name is preserved.

In theory, JavLuv should have dealt with name order, so long as the websites scraped from display the name consistently. So I'm not sure why that's occurring.

I.... have no idea why that was what got quoted. I meant to quote tre11's post and I was pretty sure that was what was previewed before I clicked "Post reply". Apologies for the confusion. Hope this clears it up as I obviously am not going to start making sarcastic jabs about how software I have never even looked at the code of works.

TmpGuy

Jun 1, 2013
I.... have no idea why that was what got quoted. I meant to quote tre11's post and I was pretty sure that was what was previewed before I clicked "Post reply". Apologies for the confusion. Hope this clears it up as I obviously am not going to start making sarcastic jabs about how software I have never even looked at the code of works.

No worries friend. Regarding people with temporary / swapping drives... well, I'm trying to make JavLuv accommodate the way people actually store and organize their own collections, and swapping drives are a reality for some. Personally, I use a Synology NAS, so it's pretty simple for me, and JavLuv naturally reflects my own storage preference. But I realize that's not practical for everyone.

I think I've already got an item in the to-do list to better support temporary storage in JavLuv. I interpreted that post not as a bug report, but a new feature request, and it's not the only time I've gotten a similar request.

Reactions: tre11 and soles

soles

May 7, 2024
No worries friend. Regarding people with temporary / swapping drives... well, I'm trying to make JavLuv accommodate the way people actually store and organize their own collections, and swapping drives are a reality for some. Personally, I use a Synology NAS, so it's pretty simple for me, and JavLuv naturally reflects my own storage preference. But I realize that's not practical for everyone.

I think I've already got an item in the to-do list to better support temporary storage in JavLuv. I interpreted that post not as a bug report, but a new feature request, and it's not the only time I've gotten a similar request.

I guess having some sort of visual indicator or filter for when media isn't currently available/can't be found would work for most people. It's just bizarre to me that anyone would want some of their covers to straight up disappear when the content associated with them isn't available for playback.

lock_on

Jan 22, 2023
Does anyone have a workaround for scanning movies in these last months? I know that there is currently problem on javlibrary scraper. When I do my scan, some movies got the metadata, but some others are empty, but I got all of its cover image. 1717153183005.png
In those movies, I got all the cover image, only few got its metadata, but why the others don't get its metadata? Currently I put the info manually, but this really takes a lot of time. Maybe there are some workaround, hopefully.

Moxy

JAV Archiever
Dec 22, 2009
Does anyone have a workaround for scanning movies in these last months? I know that there is currently problem on javlibrary scraper. When I do my scan, some movies got the metadata, but some others are empty, but I got all of its cover image. View attachment 3491834
In those movies, I got all the cover image, only few got its metadata, but why the others don't get its metadata? Currently I put the info manually, but this really takes a lot of time. Maybe there are some workaround, hopefully.

Its a pain atm but I haven't found a way yet to get around the JavLibrary issue and Javlibrary now is giving me headache just loading it in my browser due to be running a VPN and Adblockers. If javlibrary even scrapes the data then the names will be reversed and a blank actress is created. Its a huge headache but not a lot we can do at the moment until tmpguy finds a work around.

Moxy

JAV Archiever
Dec 22, 2009

View attachment 3490961

Yeah it does. I usually manually add them via JavRave.club or as many variations as possible. If a blank dupe occurs then Ive found it best to merge the 2 and then a alternate of the reversed name is created rather than deleting the blank actress and adding the reversed name manually as ofc you know better then me :)

TmpGuy

Jun 1, 2013
Its a pain atm but I haven't found a way yet to get around the JavLibrary issue and Javlibrary now is giving me headache just loading it in my browser due to be running a VPN and Adblockers. If javlibrary even scrapes the data then the names will be reversed and a blank actress is created. Its a huge headache but not a lot we can do at the moment until tmpguy finds a work around.

Just FYI, I've seen this issue as well. I've had to go and manually correct actress names in movie metadata, and it's not a lot of fun. Reversed names too, for some reason. I suspect JavLuv is more heavily relying on non-JavLibrary sites, and one of them is returning names in reverse order to what I'm suspecting. I'll double-check my actress scapers and see which one is misbehaving. If you guys have log files when you see this happening, that might help as well, if you can point out the exact movie where it happened. Otherwise I'll wait until it happens to me again.