Teaching in Japan

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

Trollbeater

Robin Hood of U15 Torrent
Jan 6, 2009
I recently accepted a teaching position in another country and it has turned out quite badly. I am interested in perhaps taking a position in Japan. I saw some 8 month contracts before and that is something I think I would be interested in. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to look for teaching positions in Japan?

Thanks,

redrooster

赤いオンドリ - 私はオタクです!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Sep 25, 2007

guy

(;Θ_Θ)ゝ”
Feb 11, 2007
I assume you mean teaching English in Japan. If so:

GaijinPot
Dave's ESL Cafe
JapanProbe classifieds

Teaching English in Japan, abridged: your basic options are eikaiwa, dispatch, or private/direct-hire. Eikaiwa (AEON, GEOS) will accept almost anybody and you have a decent chance of being placed in a urban/suburban area, but you are paid by the hour and mostly have no control over your schedule, which is usually set for weeknights (and possibly Saturdays) -- meaning very little socializing. Dispatch (JET, Interac) has standardized hours and a proper salary, but placement is random; most people end up in rural areas, and getting into a city for nightlife is costly. Private/direct-hire has the best placement and pay, but you have to deal with all problems on your own, and positions almost all require certification (including English teaching experience, usually at least 1 in Japan).

None of the options offer much job security (if clients are upset, they can get rid of you easily), all of them require high start-up costs (to the tune of ¥500,000 for the first two months), and there's no guarantee that you will enjoy your assignment any more than ESL positions in any other country. While most teachers enjoy their time in Japan, there is no shortage of those who have had terrible experiences.

In the mean time, I think this thread needs to be moved to the Japan Discussion subforum.

redrooster

赤いオンドリ - 私はオタクです!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Sep 25, 2007
attachment.php