Sorry about the slow...

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

chompy

slacker
Staff member
Super Moderator
Emperor
Nov 7, 2006
Yea, we've been dealing with the slow for a while now haven't we...
:destroy:

A-O's traffic (you guys) keeps rising, and the server is struggling to cope with the numbers. (Any more than ~400 online, which means 90% of the time, at time of posting there are over 900 of you)

While the server hardware should be doing a better job, there is an issue with the database and PHP somehow running each script twice, or at least attempting to, which is making it struggle.

Going to be troubleshooting this (and other issues) and trying to optimise the server in the meantime you will just have to bear with the slow.

Hopefully we will be much faster soon.

indreamsiwalk

with you...
Apr 8, 2007
You're too successful for your own good! :bingo:

ryuuga

みうみうの恋人
Super Moderator
Apr 2, 2007
Currently I am still facing the upload failed message in the attachment, dunno whether any of you also encountered this issue...

Here's the problem:

Anyway, I will just post the IV covers/screenshot/torrents in free hosting sites (such as RS) for a while until the issue gets fixed. It may a bit of inconvenience for some people. Hope you guys won't mind.

taboolover

Apr 1, 2007
We all appreciate the effort you guys are putting into this, chompy.

Don't worry, we'll be patient. Good things take time.

Iloveidols

Jun 3, 2007
Slow for sure, but many times I get the dialogue box that says server is too busy.

There's also a script that tries to run - my Zone Alarm anti-spyware software prevents this and I see a message that says my computer was blocked from contacting a spy-ware site.

I state this not be critical because I've no idea what that site is. For all I know, maybe it is J-List. However given that my anti-spyware software blocks this, maybe that is the root cause of the slowness.

Everyone who loads onto your forum main-page maybe facing this action, and maybe because of effective software, each visitor to the the site must go through this process each time. And that slows down the process.

I've next to no technical skills, so this is all surmise on my part, but I figured that knowing this might help you track down the cause. Thanks.

desioner

Sustaining L.I.F.E.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 22, 2006
No need to really apologize for the slowness. We're all here cause it's free for us but not for you. At the time of this message there are about +600 people online. Only 116 of them are members. The rest are guests. Is it possible to exclude the forums from guests? If the number of users has such an effect on the traffic & speed of the server, wouldn't the single easiest and most effective way to handle the excess be to close it to the guests? Just a thought.
desioner

handyman

Super Perv
Former Staff
Nov 16, 2006
...Is it possible to exclude the forums from guests? If the number of users has such an effect on the traffic & speed of the server, wouldn't the single easiest and most effective way to handle the excess be to close it to the guests? Just a thought.
desioner

I reckon this is worth considering. At least in terms of downloadable content. Blocking thumbs/attachments etc. but still can read text in threads....

Although I guess it would only be worth it it the traffic is affected..

multani

Feb 11, 2007
Have you consider to migrate on lighter forum, like punbb or SMF ?. But it would mean to waste your vBulletin licence and your add-on ...

riffer

Mar 3, 2007
The board is working so much better today! Whatever you did it seems to have worked worked, chompy.

redrooster

赤いオンドリ - 私はオタクです!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Sep 25, 2007
the speed is so different from time to time, at this very moment it is more like a snail in slow motion, it takes more than 5 mins to build up a page completely.

But I know there are important reasons that this is like it is so please do not catch this as a critical statement. Please continue working on the problem so that we can get the site back as we are mostly used to. Thank you.

ZeroX24

Mar 27, 2007
Maybe you should add something more than limited post viewing to guests viewing the website? Even though it's a limited view, people can still get access to certain downloads. Also, extending the amount of time before guests can view posts again might also be a good deterrent.

cattz

(◣_◢)
Jun 11, 2007
Yeah, I mean, it really seems like the best way would be to make it only visible to registered members.

Google probably helps in killing the site, since A-O is at the top of search results for so many actresses if you search with the english name, or general topics related to A-O.

Hell, topics and images are linked on japanese boards and sites also, which is how some topics end up with over 20 thousand views.

I love the site and appreciate everything, which is why I just grit my teeth whenever topics take 2 minutes to load, let alone post messages, heh. (I'll use the bathroom when I'm finished typing to kill the 3 minutes it'll probably take to post this)

Would be a good step, but seems like it's almost needed now more so.

Mark-James

Apr 7, 2007
I think making it so unregistered people may only view limited items, not being able to download torrents, etc, would shy some people away until they feel like registering.

chompy

slacker
Staff member
Super Moderator
Emperor
Nov 7, 2006
Well I'm moving the site to a better server (again!) though I'm gonna do it in such a way that there should be no downtime. Hopefully. If the server is set up in time! Expect an announcement in a few days (after easter).

If all goes well, the site should be faster than ever. (I know, you've heard that one before right?) And then I can add all the extra features I've been wanting to for ages.

Oh, and as for closing the site to non-registered, I had considered that in the past, but for now, I would much rather keep it open (at least the torrent section)

desioner

Sustaining L.I.F.E.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 22, 2006
Got ya. It would be nice of there were no downtime but not sure how it's possible.
I hope to see a speed increase. And new features are always coll to play with.
Good to know where you stand on non-registered. We'll just deal with what comes our way.
desioner

handyman

Super Perv
Former Staff
Nov 16, 2006
Got ya. It would be nice of there were no downtime but not sure how it's possible.
I hope to see a speed increase. And new features are always coll to play with.
Good to know where you stand on non-registered. We'll just deal with what comes our way.
desioner

Word!

desioner

Sustaining L.I.F.E.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 22, 2006
Not sure if the move has already taken place but the speeds as of now are WOW!
I'm lovin it.
desioner

SkyGT

Feb 4, 2008
yep, it's definitely a lot better than before where as I couldn't get anything loaded up except the main XD

chompy

slacker
Staff member
Super Moderator
Emperor
Nov 7, 2006
Nope, not moved yet. Should have the new server up by the end of today though (GMT) and then gonna be backing this up and moving it over.