Olympics Rio 2016 (2016年近代オリンピック:リオ)

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
Yoshida settles for silver, Kawai gold in women's wrestling

RIO DE JANEIRO (Kyodo) -- Japan's Saori Yoshida suffered a shocking loss to American Helen Louise Maroulis in the women's 53-kilogram final at the Rio Olympics on Thursday, failing in her bid to claim the gold medal in four consecutive Games.

Risako Kawai, however, made up for Yoshida's disappointment, dominating throughout the women's 63-kg final as she defeated European champion Maryia Mamashuk of Belarus to win the third and last gold-medal match of the day.

The 33-year-old Yoshida, who has won 13 consecutive world championships -- the last two at 53 kg and others in 55 kg, scored the first technical point in the first period against Maroulis but eventually lost 4-1 to the reigning 55-kg world champion.

"I am sorry to finish with a silver medal despite all the cheers from so many people," a teary Yoshida said. "As the Japanese captain, I should have gotten the gold medal."

No Japanese Olympic delegation captain had even won a medal since the 1992 Barcelona Olympics.

"I kept thinking that I would be able to win in the end, but it got to the point where I could no longer come back," she said. "I'm sorry I couldn't exert all my strength."

Yoshida's winning streak at the Olympics and the world championships combined came to a stop at 16.

Had she won in Thursday's final, she would have become the second woman wrestler, after compatriot Kaori Icho (63 kg), to strike gold at four straight Summer Games.

Yoshida, who had a bye into the second round, dominated her first two opponents to set up a semifinal against Betzabeth Angeli Arguello Villegas of Venezuela, who she beat 6-0 to set the stage for the final against Maroulis.

Kawai, the 21-year-old world silver medalist making her Olympic debut, was charged throughout the 63-kg final as she aimed to keep her cool, which she admitted she had lost at the final in last year's worlds.

"At the worlds, I was happy just to make it to the final and wasn't totally myself, and I knew that it would have to be a big stage like this to get my revenge so I went in thinking I'm definitely going to win the gold medal," Kawai said.

The 24-year-old Rio Watari in the women's heaviest weight class of 75 kg was the only one to fall out of the gate for the Japanese squad, a day after a sweep of the gold medals, including Icho's, on the first day of action.

barba

we all make mistakes
Jun 6, 2007
i was robbed by two men
i was robbed by two men
i was robbed by two men

the lyin’ ryan lochte incident put me directly in mind of those wonderful women, the zuiiken girls, who for years dispensed exercise, travel tips, and useful english phrases to help extricate japanese tourists from the inevitable dangers of a vacation in the united states. while i don’t have the resources or the know-how to do it myself, i’d love to see a parody of the famous ‘i was robbed by two men’ series, using several tall white americans in speedos who give a zuiiken explanation of their brazilian gas station experience and smilingly demonstrate swim strokes with syncronized arm motions. i’m sure this would go viral with zika intensity.

oh, if there’s anyone out there who knows not of what i speak, here you are:

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
yep, not sure what was up with that (or that I care). It was somewhat believable at the time though as I had seen this:

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
Japan's Olympics medal tally at record high

Japanese athletes won more medals at the Rio de Janeiro Olympics on Friday, bringing Japan's total medal count to 41, the highest-ever at an Olympics.

The Japanese team claimed silver medals in the men's 4-by-100 meter sprint relay and the men's 57-kilogram free-style wrestling.

Japan won bronze medals the in women's singles badminton, the team synchronized swimming and the men's 50-kilometer race walk.

Japan now has 12 gold, 8 silver, and 21 bronze medals.

Its previous record was 38 at the 2012 London Olympics.