Max avatar size setting

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

• Total voters

kaminix

Japanist
Apr 3, 2007
Would it be possible to implement a feature where you can enable either the browser or the server to resize all avatars to a specific size? I think the avatars are too large, but I don't want to disable them entirely (if that's even possible). Any ideas?

chompy

slacker
Staff member
Super Moderator
Emperor
Nov 7, 2006
Actually I've been toying with the idea of reducing the max.avatar dimensions setting for a while now. It was novel at first, but as the forum grows larger, especially the number of leechers, the stress on the server to display all those large avatars must at least affect the server performance.

I'm going to take this opportunity to add a poll to see what others think about this.

Holzy

Mar 7, 2007
I have to say that everything is fine right now :)

Denamic

Swedish Meat
Staff member
Super Moderator
Former Staff
Dec 7, 2006
I like large avatars, but I do have a pretty high screen resolution.
I can see how it would be a bit bothersome for those with lower screen resolution.
If you're on 1024x768 or less, I suggest you buy a bigger screen and up your screen res.

chompy

slacker
Staff member
Super Moderator
Emperor
Nov 7, 2006
As it stands the massive majority of users here are on 1024x768; therefore the forum is optimised for this resolution.
e.g. 4 attachments per row
banner width
etc.

A concern is avatars may be too intrusive at this resolution, but I too urge anyone with a 17" display or bigger: increase your resolution.

As it stands from the poll, most people like big avatars. I'll look into more novel ways of decreasing server load.

sukebe

Nov 30, 2006
I think at least max height could be reduced to 160px or less as that's what makes them take more space...

Arkard

Vampire Hentai Lover
Dec 11, 2006
I think a 100X100 avatar is just fine, there is perfect:goodjob:, but if you like big avatar OK:dunno:

Valkyrie

Mar 12, 2007
I think its fine the way it is as it sets this forum apart from all the other ones. These other forums only let you have a puny avatar so whats the point of having one? I do think that the super giant ones look a bit stupid but if thats what they want i guess its ok.