風引いたって知らないぞ?

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

Sakunyuusha

Jan 27, 2008
Note: This is a Japanese language thread, not an anime thread, despite the subject matter involved. Hence why I posted the thread here.

So, I'm watching the first season of Pokemon in Japanese without English subs. Enjoying it. Don't understand all of it, but that's partly the point. I'm trying to reinforce what I do know while picking up new bits of knowledge here or there.

Anyway, I skipped ahead to the episode where Ash and the others get trapped in a blizzard and almost die, and Ash says this line to his Pokémon when he begins to cry: 「風邪引いたって知らないぞ?」 Now, normally I would translate this as, "Haven't you heard" or "Didn't you know" (for the って知らないぞ? part) and as "that [somebody] caught a cold" (for the 風邪引いたって part), but the thing is, nobody has a cold. Satoshi hasn't caught a cold previously in the episode and (skipping about) I couldn't find any evidence of him coughing or sneezing. Likewise, his Pokémon aren't ill, either.

So ... I understand that if I am reading this correctly, that Satoshi is telling them a lie to try and show his appreciation in a macho way. He's telling them off when really he's incredibly touched by their words. However, he then goes on to say ... 「でも。。。すっごこあたっかいや。」 In other words, "But ... I feel so very warm."

I'm confused. Why would he say this after talking about a sick-cold (風邪) and not cold temperature (寒、涼、冷、etc) ? Grammatically, it doesn't follow: "Didn't you know I am sick? But I feel so, so warm."

So ... I guess what I am wondering is, do you think I've read it correctly?

You can watch the video here. That specific line comes pretty close to the end.

Translated script attached below.

buttobi

Mar 29, 2007
Grammatically the conditional(subjunctive) mood is used in the sentence 「風邪引いたって知らないぞ?」. Though 引いた (caught) is in the past tense, it is being used like "would be reborn" in "if I would be reborn, I would be a female" in English. 「知らないぞ」 literally means "I don't know" but in this context the original meaning is lost and it means "beware" or "I warn you." So as a whole the sentence is close to the English conditional sentence "I warn you that you would catch a cold" or "Beware lest you catch a cold."

Sakunyuusha

Jan 27, 2008
Cool! Thank you so much. Can you give me 10 other sentences with 10 other verbs (in place of 引く) that display this concept? I know that might be a bit much to ask, but I could really use the grammar lesson.

Sakunyuusha

Jan 27, 2008
The link does not load. :( Also, "subjunctive," not "subjucntive".

By the way, I just realized that even though your answer makes sense for the first sentence, it still doesn't explain why Satoshi begins his second sentence with でも and why he proceeds to mention feeling so warm. "Don't blame me if you catch a cold! But ... I feel so warm." It's non sequitur. ^^; The two sentences don't tie in together at all. Unless ... unless Satoshi is implying with the second sentence that he wants them to stay out (because they are making him feel warm). But that would make the scene a lot less impactful. It'd make Satoshi seem selfish rather than being poetic.