How Safe?

Fuurin

Jan 27, 2008
Safety

How safe are share? is it safer then emule?
Share is an anonymous network, so it would be difficult if not impossible for anyone to know what you are up or downloading. Anti-p2p groups could theoretically track what you are uploading to eMule, and notify your ISP, but so far in the U.S. at least, they seem to be targeting bittorrent more.

I have never downloaded any viruses or trojans on Share, but it is only common sense to scan any exe or zip files you download no matter what network you got it from.

Winny has a known vulnerability that can lead to it getting infected, but both Share and eMule seem to be free of any security bugs like that.

domokun

Mar 6, 2007
Share is an anonymous network, so it would be difficult if not impossible for anyone to know what you are up or downloading.

I'm not so sure about that:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Share_(P2P)#Legal_issues

Of course, legal proceedings have so far only targeted Japanese citizens, but it's enough to prove that the system is compromised and not anonymous. There's a anti-cybercrime unit in Japan which can do very detailed analysis of what anyone is up to on Share.

desioner

Sustaining L.I.F.E.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 22, 2006
But they have bigger fish to fry as the saying goes. If you're doing things right you should not need to worry about it.

Fuurin

Jan 27, 2008
In the case of the arrests, it always seemed to involve uploaders who posted to online bulletin boards where their IP addresses could be traced. It is possible to use Retina Sharebot to try to track users through Share, but most Japanese uploaders are sophisticated enough to use DiffusionProClone or one of the other plugins that hide uploads from Sharebot.

I'm not so sure about that:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Share_(P2P)#Legal_issues

Of course, legal proceedings have so far only targeted Japanese citizens, but it's enough to prove that the system is compromised and not anonymous. There's a anti-cybercrime unit in Japan which can do very detailed analysis of what anyone is up to on Share.

Syobon

(´・ω・`)
Dec 22, 2009
much safer than torrent, just for downloads is extremely safe, only news about uploaders arrest and in Japan. :joker:

porkar

Apr 2, 2007
Can they track you if you use HideMyAss, or Tor programs?