hello To All

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

zapman2000

Mar 27, 2007
hello all im zap

new here (duh!)

was wondering if anyone knew anything about servers im trying to get some specs on some that other people own or specs to make a good one so i can host the terabite worth of hentai, anime and other interesting goodies.

also if you tell me were i should start a thread about it so people can reply plz let me know.

Denamic

Swedish Meat
Staff member
Super Moderator
Former Staff
Dec 7, 2006
If you want to host files, you'll want to set up a RAID array if you've got a 50Mbit pipe or more.
If you've got any less than 50Mbit, forget about hosting a fileserver.

Bottom line is that you'll want high speed HDDs and a high speed connection, preferrably 100Mbit or more if you want to have a fileserver.

Edit: Hi.

zapman2000

Mar 27, 2007
T3

It will Be Hosted on a T3 Connection With unlimited bandwidth usage so im not worried about the connections and i do want to set up raid but ive seen so many of them fail that it keeps me away from them

Denamic

Swedish Meat
Staff member
Super Moderator
Former Staff
Dec 7, 2006
You sort of have to.
Your HDDs would never be able to keep up otherwise.
Also, T3 is a very vague term. I usually speak in Mbit.
T3 is 40 to 50-ish, right? I'd think that's the bare minimum.

zapman2000

Mar 27, 2007
i think my bosses T3 maxes out a 10gb a sec but its hard to reach that unless you have a fast computer

the most ive ever gotten it to was 3.5gbs

chompy

slacker
Staff member
Super Moderator
Emperor
Nov 7, 2006
I always thought T3 was closer to 40Mbit. You could carry google with 3-10Gb/s. Large datacentres don't have that kind of bandwidth.

You sure you don't mean "the most ive ever gotten it to was 3.5MiB/s"?
because that's more likely.

As for RAID, that's what there to stop stuff from failing.

Denamic

Swedish Meat
Staff member
Super Moderator
Former Staff
Dec 7, 2006
I single HDD have a read speed of ~7.5MB/s.
That means you couldn't possibly upload stuff faster than ~7.5MB/s from your fileserver.
That's barely enough for max 15 simultaneous connections, and that would not justify your connection.
You'll need at least a RAID 1 for a fileserver. I think RAID 5 is best for fileservers though.
100% redundancy over at least 2 drives or your fileserver will never be as much of a server as it will be just another peer.

zapman2000

Mar 27, 2007
its a fiber optic connection and no Google use at least 5 times as much speed as the max this one does

Denamic

Swedish Meat
Staff member
Super Moderator
Former Staff
Dec 7, 2006
I don't doubt that, but I do doubt you'd reach 3.5gb/s and much less 10gb/s.
Do you realize that 10Gbit/s (10 gigabit per second) is 1310720 Kb/s?
Or that 10Gb/s (10 gigabyte per second) is 10485760 Kb/s?
Both of those are more than google has, or at least uses.
That's way more than any HDD can handle.
Hell, even a RAM memory would have problems with that.
So since you've got a 'T3' connection, I'm gonna assume you've got ~40Mbit, in which case you should max out at somewhere below ~5Mb/s.
That's a very good connection to have on DC or to seed torrents, but it's still sort of meak for a fileserver..
But I suppose it could be done if you limited the amount of simultaneous downloads or make it private.