Compressing - anybody familiar with it?

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

baka324

O-Overdrive
Feb 28, 2007
I was just wondering if anybody around here knows how to use 7zip well. I've seen it compress like a 700mb file to 100mb.

I have no clue how to get it to a very small size...

kbryc08

Master Cheef
Super Moderator
Nov 17, 2006
hm, that would depend on what you're compressing, yes?

to get the best compression, select 7z as the archive format then select the highest compression level, which will take longer.

baka324

O-Overdrive
Feb 28, 2007
I tried compressing something on 7zip today, I think I set compression level to Ultra. About 25minutes later, my 1.16gb file turned into a 1.17gb compressed file =__=

desioner

Sustaining L.I.F.E.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 22, 2006
Are you on Mac or Windows? I'm assuming your on Windows in which case my information won't help you. But just checking.
desioner

Vicare

Feb 28, 2007
Yeah, I've come across such thing. But it's not 7zip, but RAR.
It was a ISO file which is 80MB in zip. But when I extract it, it becomes 300MB. Amazing, there must be some trick, but I don't know.

Denamic

Swedish Meat
Staff member
Super Moderator
Former Staff
Dec 7, 2006
Compression depends heavily on what you're compressing.
Image files are usually already compressed, so don't bother trying to compress it further.

Exceptions would be older games where we didn't have the processor power to decompress it in real time.
Such as PSX games.

Compression is pretty complicated, and I honestly don't understand much of it myself.
You could try reading up on it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_compression

In any case, compressing isn't a sure fire way to decrease size, since a lot of the data we handle is already compressed.
Most notably pictures, audio and CD/DVD image files.
Smaller games usually have 'dummy' data in the images so it'll fill out the CD/DVD.
This dummy data is usually very easy to compress, since it's mostly just empty space.
But sometimes it's filled with random data, which makes it harder to compress.