akiba resident JAV subtitlers & subtitle talk★NOT A SUB REQUEST THREAD★

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

CodeGeek

Akiba Citizen
Nov 2, 2010
Finally someone is willing to provide some English subs. :hugethumb:

I'm wondering why there are Chinese subs available, but no other subs. :huh:
Does someone know how good or bad the quality of these Chinese subs is?

keanurefresh

Jun 7, 2013

Even so, i wish the Chinese subs are SoftSub, instead of hardsub.
coz with SoftSub, we might be able to translate it.

wongguy

Nov 2, 2008

The chinese subs are decent enough to understand, but I wish those subs could have improve more on accuracy and quality for entertaining purpose and they don't sub the entire film. As to why there is only chinese sub, there is a company out there that sells chinese sub jav online, like jav911.

StageNinja47

Sep 21, 2013
Eng sub would be great. especially since a lot of JAV debut vids have some what long intro interviews where the actress take about their interest and about why the got into the industry.
In General it would be great to understand what their saying.

fyfiul

Jun 11, 2009
Hello guys,

I am planning to set up a website providing JAV English subtitles. I understand that there is a demand for well translated English subtitles, and that it is especially difficult to find them. I have a JLPT 1 certificate, and while I don't claim to be an excellent translator, I understand at least 95% of the content of all JAVs which I have watched before. My purpose in creating this post is that I want to conduct a market research prior to starting this project.

It is not an easy job creating subtitle files. An average 2 hours video with decent dialogues takes about 4-8 hours to subtitle. Some are particular difficult, for example bukkake and gokkun videos, harem videos, or videos with a lot of storylines. As such, it would be too much of a hassle if I don't charge the subtitle service. Of course, I am planning for restricted free downloads ( x files / mth) for free members.

Currently, I have 2 types of payment options in mind with these assumptions in mind (The subtitles are well translated, and there will be 5 subtitle files uploaded weekly, ie 20 per month):

1) online credit system -
Customer buys online credits using real money. Each subtitle cost differing amounts of credit depending on the ease of subtitling. Customer then chooses to download whichever he likes.

2) monthly recurring subscription
Subtitles will be divided into free and exclusive categories. Generally, exclusive category subtitles will be for videos which are more in demand as compared to free category subtitles.
Free members gain restricted downloads (x files/month) only at the free content category. Subscribing members gain unlimited downloads at BOTH free and member-exclusive categories.

Which type of payment, 1 or 2, would you prefer to have? And for that particular choice, how much would you be willing to pay??

Reactions: 4 people

jugulear

Akiba Citizen
Jan 20, 2012
I don't keep up with this thread, Silkmaze, but I was thrilled with your "Javsubtitle" site discovery - what JAV fan who communicates through the language of imperialism would not love English subtitles?

When I noticed via its archives that the site has been around for half a year, I had the notion someone must have already referred to it on this thread; sure enough, a search revealed 5+-year and laconic Akiba-Online Member Spwan apparently started the ball rolling - here is Member Tortex's response, from a couple of pages back:

http://www.akiba-online.com/showthread.php?t=12227&p=2268851&viewfull=1#post2268851

It appears the site has rounded up at least some of the subtitles from out there, instead of creating them from scratch (as Fyfiul intends on doing, from his post above... I'll get to you in a moment, Fyfiul!), including Tortex's labor of love, the subtitles for SOE-339 (my rare experience with JAV subtitles. Tortex performed a beautiful job). As may be understood, Tortex conveyed his discomfort about his painstaking work being made available someplace else. He was polite about it, understanding the rip-off nature of the world we engage in.

Gentleman Codegeek was the first to respond to Spwan's announcement (at bottom of Page 16, as of now), pointing out the rotten quality of the borrowed works of another translator, somebody named "Spikespen." It looks like the Javsubtitle site has amassed quite a collection by now, and I noticed my possession of two films (that their subtitle files service) featured on the site's first page (as of now):

MDYD-639 Rei Aoki Slave Mother-in-law
RBD-309 Woman President to the Point of Falling

I don't know how these .ASS subtitle files synchronize with the different versions of pilfered JAV that are out there, but it may interest some of you to note that these synced up well (at least at the very beginning, I didn't check into the movies) with the stream versions of what I had downloaded. (My copy of SOE-339 was also a stream, and it worked well with Tortex and Desioner's masterpiece.) So I suppose these files are pretty compatible, even though they must have been created with the higher quality movie downloads.

Yet the reason why I was not compelled to watch further (at least not at this moment) was that the level of the English was pretty horrendous. It was like wading through Google translations. (Not that a rotten translation is worthless, at least we get some idea. Maybe.)

Okay, Fyfiul... if I may now turn to your post...

Congratulations, first of all, for opening your mouth for the first time in four-and-a-half years of Akiba-Online membership. There has been a rash of silent old-timers coming out of the woodwork, and that's nice. I hope you will yak more.

Allow me to commend you on your lofty plan. (Although I won't be focusing on the question you raised, what type of payment plan.) I did balk when you mentioned a charge, but I can understand. Producing subtitled text must be very time-consuming, and as Tortex explained in a past post, what drags out the labor may not be the translating as much as the coding. Even the most diehard fan could lose interest, if there is no other incentive at play, to keep going.

But charging money opens up a can of worms, and even thieves like us need to have a code of honor. I feel very strongly that what Zenra does (charging for their translations in the form of uncredited movies), as well as what the many sites that charge for their downloads (usually in the form of selling passwords) do is strictly unethical. They are profiting off others' copyrighted works, and that is tantamount to crookedness.

If you are to set off on such an enterprise, the only way you can justify a charge is to not make the movies available, as Zenra does. Javsubtitle has the right idea, by making available only the subtitle files, primarily .ASS.

Naturally, there are other avenues of collecting dough besides asking for direct payment, even though the amount of money made could amount to less - it's the backdoor method, which uploaders rely on to keep going, through the filehosters' payments, and (as another example), the cashlinks method, which "Javsubtitle" has opted for, via stinkin' Linkbucks.

On the production side, I see your English is indeed excellent, but the rare boo-boo from your post (which certainly is not fair to judge by, as most whip up the wording of their posts) could serve as a reminder for you to be absolutely diligent when you compose your words. The key is to check and check again, to make sure those T's are dotted and I's are crossed, or better yet, vice versa.

The downside is, what to do when someone takes your hard work and posts it elsewhere? Not much can be done about that, I'm afraid, unless we are dealing with a big corporation and their armies of lawyers (even then), and while most of us engage in taking things from the Internet, it may be a bitter pill to swallow when something is taken from us.

Last edited by a moderator:

hypemx7

Intriguing JAV Hunter
Mar 6, 2009
Here is an Idea to those people who have the time and are aspiring to monetize making Subtitles.
(I would do it myself if I was anywhere near fluent enough in Japanese, but I'm only barely on the small talk level)

Try using Crowd funding with minimum goals.
Ecommerce wise, crowd funding is the way to go for niche services such as JAV subtitles.
Reference monetization of Kickstarter.

It would work in couple of steps.

Step 1) Section of a website, categorized by DVD code, where users can start a pledge for crowdfunding
Users can create a crowdfund and,or pledge for it via email (which can then be utilized to alert pledgers if it goes "live")

Step 2) Selection of which movie/vid that should go "live"
Moderator/Admin/Translator then can look at whichever has the most pledgers, most demand, most interest, etc.
and choose one to work on, thus going "live".

Step 3) Fund collection
After the subtitle is finished and available, collect funds restrictive to the pledgers only;
make it available to the pledgers via email or whatever individualized method
Make available link to the referenced video as well.

Step 4) Repeat

Some Factors to consider

1) Subtitles should be provided in text form and a separate file (.ass , .srt , etc.)
No hardsubbing bullshittery
Providing document files gives translation access to people who may have video files with significantly different timestamping (as a backup)

2) Make post-crowdfunding access "fair"
Initially provide access to translations to pledgers only.
Later on, try to be "fair".
If you want to monetize, mark down the "price" substantially (just enough to make a buck after transaction costs)
If an artist can sell their song for $.99 on itunes, you, the person profiting from another company's copyrighted work can at least be "fair" about it.
If you want to share freely, you can allow the document file to be downloadable.
That way, individuals who really need a synced translation will go ahead and do so on their own time.

Website and transaction wise, I can set all of these things up myself.
But, I can't translate proper. :slam:

Oh how I wish I spoke and understood Japanese so I can make some disposable income as well as help the JAV community out with such an endeavor :nonono:
If any Japanese fluent individuals want to venture into this with me give me a shout :pandalaugh:

wongguy

Nov 2, 2008
The english subtitle by Javsubtitle aren't good since it appears he is subbing in Thai and then just simply translating it into english word for word with those free translation website.
Fyfiul, I appreciate your contribution to devote your time and sub those video and I would love to contribute to your cause when should I consider the subs that I have created, but the pricing that you propose is not a wise idea. No one is going to pay for it like we are downloading jav videos for free and your work is going to be pirated just like the videos here, which means less revenue for your work.

cyberzen

Apr 8, 2010
I have read through this post history and have given some thought to how a system can be put in place to facilitate free or paid subs.

First I don't have any experience with aegisub, but from what I read it's still quite a manual process, meaning you have to sit through the entire movie * 2. This is the part that is very time consuming, but how to solve it ? We need a way to extract the timecode out of the movie automatically. For this we can use http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voice_activity_detection. The algorithm will go through the movie and record the start and end timecode, and generate an .ass file automatically, then you can import that into aegisub to do the normal translation.

Next you need to have a system where you can distribute the subs. This can be handled by a video player that download the subs automatically but does not expose it to the filesystem. This way access can be controlled and proper credit can be given to the person who did the work.

1) people who understand just some phrases can partially translate some parts of the movie
2) people who want to earn some money by translating the entire movie will be paid
3) people who volunteer will be given proper credit

However in my view the most optimal solution would be something like youtube http://googleblog.blogspot.sg/2009/11/automatic-captions-in-youtube.html. The bulk of the work is done by google voice, and there are some unofficial API, but you still need to contact their server for the translation, so access can be cut off anytime.

I will try to see if I can maybe get a demo working for the timecode extraction, it can be a feature for my in development Jav Organizer app anyways :)

http://www.akiba-online.com/showthread.php?t=404533&page=6

CodeGeek

Akiba Citizen
Nov 2, 2010
I would think too much about how to distribute subs or not. If you go to some anime, hentai or drama sites you have a good example how that works. And if there would be any other solution I'm sure these people would use it.

Same goes for the translation: There are groups out there which dedicate a lot of time in making high quality fansubs. And these subs are really good, the translation is good, the timing is good and sometimes they even explain special terms (e.g. special Japanese, Korean, Chinese or whatever terms which can't be translated).

I'm not positive about machine voice recognition as well as machine based translation. Voice recognition works fine for some people if they dictate a text to their computer, tablet or smartphone - especially after some training and in a quiet surrounding. All the JAV movies I watch don't have that. Most of the time the performers don't speak clearly, sometimes even more than once are speaking at a time. Maybe they also use slang or non-standard expressions. And that brings me to the next point: The translation. I use e.g. Google translate from time to time. But I use it for only getting an idea / a glimpse what a text might mean or want to express. But the translation itself is not so good. It is even worse if you use languages which are really far away from the English language (like e.g. Japanese or Chinese). Sometimes the English translation is total nonsense.

The approach to get the right timecode seems to be nice. I guess it would make the live of the typesetters of a fansub group a lot easier. :)

I still think the only way to give credit to these people would be something like AniDB or D-Addicts. There you can make your subs public and getting the credits for it. Even if others steal your work it is clear who created the subs.

About a payment model: I don't know any fansubs projects which have something like that. Maybe because they do it for fame and their own satisfaction (same as open source developers). Also maybe because it is not possible because at the end someone will release the subs to the public and then no one will pay for it. The only way to get money for your subs is to do the original subbing for a movie company. Same as developers only get money if they work for a software company or found one.

But these are just my 50 cent.

cyberzen

Apr 8, 2010
I agree that total automatic translation will probably be very inaccurate, but it will work for known phrases, so I'm thinking only translate phrases that the algorithm has a confidence rating of 95% and above. The rest will need to be translated manually.

For anime and hentai it's very common to find subs, so I'm not worried about those, my focus is on JAV. There is also something I don't understand, why are there subs for anime and hentai, but so few for JAV? Is it because there is no website like AniDB for JAV?

As for the payment model, there will be a custom video player that can download the sub at the beginning of the movie, and not expose that to the file system then it can't be shared. I'm not saying this is a fool proof way of protecting subs, but it will deter the lay person. People will always pay for quality and if the price is right. The system I'm proposing will be somewhat like itunes.

1) users can buy a sub for $1-2, this will be tagged to account
2) users will be able to vote for videos that should be subbed, this way the more popular ones will be subbed first.
3) subbers can upload subs
4) system will track payments and do a split of 70% subber and 30% publisher

Personally, I have a bunch of videos that I would not mind paying $20 for people to translate, the problem is that $20 by one person is generally not enough for a quality translator. That's where you need a system like this for economies of scale.

jaystak

Oct 24, 2008
I am a semi-professional subtitle creator. I am fluent in Japanese and have been making order-made JAV subs part time for several years. I haven't been active recently, but I am considering doing some movies over the next few months. It's not cheap to make subs, as it is quite a time consuming job. Generally speaking, a 90 minute movie costs around $300-$400 to sub, paid through Paypal. If you're interested in putting in an order, let me know.

This is a sample of my subs: http://xhamster.com/movies/287557/japanese_gokkun_3.html

CodeGeek

Akiba Citizen
Nov 2, 2010
I was wondering if anyone had success with Google speech translation if does translate live speech very well on many languages so it should be possible

The "normal" Google translate even does huge problems translating e.g. Japanese to English. I don't think the result will be better using the Google speech translation (which is only available to Anroid at this point - at least as far as I know). If you add the issue that many people speaking sometimes at the same time it will get even harder for the speech translation to produce satisfying results.

When you look at this fansub groups for Animes, Hentais, movies and TV series you recognize how much energy, knowledge and time they invest to produce good subs. If it would be possible just by using some piece of software, they would use it.

Maybe it would work with the universal translator of the star fleet. At least captain Picard and his gang got good results. :pandalaugh:

tortex

Dec 31, 2009
Since Ryushare became extinct the download links for Sora Aoi's SOE-339 subs were bad. I have re-upped the subs to both Keep2Share and Rapidgator. The original post was updated with the links and can be found here: http://www.akiba-online.com/showthread.php?t=12227&p=2092168&viewfull=1#post2092168

I do have subs for Yuna Mizumoto's SDMT-272. But I'd like to fine tune some of the timings. The original timings I gave Desioner were off in some places. Unfortunately work has been incredibly busy with no end in sight so I am not sure when I can get to the corrections. Additionally, I have Risa Kasumi's SACE-051 80 - 85% time coded. It still would need a translation. I am scheduled to have a business trip soon and usually during those trips I can get to the time coding. I can't make any promises but hopefully in the near to mid term I can release two more JAV with subtitles.

tortex

Dec 31, 2009
My original post didn't make the migration. Here it is...

I have to start first by thanking Desioner for doing the translations. I really appreciate his work and without him I wouldn't be able to make these subtitles available.

To my fellow forum members, I present to you English subs for SDMT-272:

36301.jpg

SDMT-272 - Colleague of Longing, Made to Provide Party Entertainment in the Nude Right in Front of Us (Yuna Mizumoto)

Mr. Kimura messes up a work assignment on a project that Yuna is responsible for. Mrs. Asano takes it out on Yuna during the year-end banquet.

http://k2s.cc/file/4b8ebb4b9ebc7/SDMT-272.ass
http://rg.to/file/bf8b8d541404a0e047...T-272.ass.html

Yuna is one of my favorite actresses. She plays these types of roles to perfection in my opinion. SDMT-272 is a JAV with a great story line end-to-end. I really wanted this one to be a masterpiece. That is part of the reason it took so long for me to get this out. This past week I re-worked all the timings. Some maybe still off. If anyone catches any glaring errors please let me know and I'll try to fix it. The translations are very difficult because not everything translates to English easily. That is part of the reason I give Desioner so much credit. If you think there may be an alternate translation that enhances the subtitles let me know and I'll consider an update.

Enjoy!

CodeGeek

Akiba Citizen
Nov 2, 2010
Isn't that what we all have waited for? Someone who is subbing our beloved JAV movies? I think we should give desioner and tortex as much support as possible. Please, give tortex as much response as possible.

Thank you both, desioner and tortex, for your great work. I hope I can watch a movie subtitled by you soon again. :)

tortex

Dec 31, 2009
Thank you pavane. Desioner deserves most of the credit because of the translations. I have almost all of Yuna's work. RBD-202 is also a favorite. RBD-202 is on my list of JAV to have subbed. Unfortunately, work and other responsibilities has been incredibly demanding on my time so I haven't been able to make much progress on the next set of subs. I have time coded most of Risa Kasumi's SACE-051. If I can complete that I will reach out to Desioner and hopefully he is willing and able to do the translations.

I am glad you liked the subs. If you have any suggestions on how they can be improved PM me and I'll take any suggestions into consideration. I've already gotten some good feedback from CodeGeek.

The size and color of the subs is hard to accommodate for everyone because we each have our own preferences. What I can offer is (1) if you have AegiSub you can modify the default text for the subs to your liking and then save the .ass file or (2) open the .ass file with a simple text editor and make some small changes to the following line in the subs

[V4+ Styles]
Format: Name, Fontname, Fontsize, PrimaryColour, SecondaryColour, OutlineColour, BackColour, Bold, Italic, Underline, StrikeOut, ScaleX, ScaleY, Spacing, Angle, BorderStyle, Outline, Shadow, Alignment, MarginL, MarginR, MarginV, Encoding
Style: Default,Arial,20,&H0000FFFF,&H000000FF,&H00000000,&H00000000,0,0,0,0,100,100,0,0,1,2,2,2,10,10,10,1​

The bold red controls the font. I believe it is as simple as replacing the value with the appropriate font name. For example, if you wanted Arial Black you would just replace Arial with Arial Black.

The bold green controls the size of the subs. You can increase this to suite your preference.

The bold blue controls the primary font color. This is tricky because you need to know the code for the color. I believe the value I put there is for yellow. This is where I think AegiSub helps because you just pick the color from the color picker and it will put the appropriate code.

But those three modifications would allow you to customize the subs to your liking.